Ported, equal to ???

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a ported Stihl ms362 by a 'famous' builder. It sure seems strong. What do you think its power could be equivalent to in cc size? It is, what, 59cc? I know you can't give a definitive answer, I am just looking for ideas. Like, would you think it should certainly 'beat' a 70cc saw? I just know it seems strong.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
4:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is no true answer to your question.

Some models gain more than others based on oem design and ability to be modified.

The rule of thumb is usually 20-30% over stock as a guesstimate. (Some even boast 32% gains)

“Beating” a larger saw is a whole notha’ argument. It depends on the bar length and the wood. Smaller displacement saws can keep up with larger ones with smaller bars. Once you load a saw with a long bar, the bigger saw will almost always win.

There’s no replacement for displacement.

So, with respect to your 58cc 362 “beating” a stock 70cc saw, the answer is “maybe”. Open the muffler on that 70cc saw and leaving it stock otherwise will likely put the hurt on your 362.

I have an issue with the size of the newer designs. Most are lighter, but the same size as older models with much more displacement.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a ported Stihl ms362 by a 'famous' builder. It sure seems strong. What do you think its power could be equivalent to in cc size? It is, what, 59cc? I know you can't give a definitive answer, I am just looking for ideas. Like, would you think it should certainly 'beat' a 70cc saw? I just know it seems strong.
Who ported it?

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

It's a serious question. No need to buy a 70cc saw if the ported 362 is that or more. I have never used a 70cc saw. A 70cc saw is 18.6% bigger than a 59cc ms362. So, could/should it be
There is no true answer to your question.

Some models gain more than others based on oem design and ability to be modified.

The rule of thumb is usually 20-30% over stock as a guesstimate. (Some even boast 32% gains)

“Beating” a larger saw is a whole notha’ argument. It depends on the bar length and the wood. Smaller displacement saws can keep up with larger ones with smaller bars. Once you load a saw with a long bar, the bigger saw will almost always win.

There’s no replacement for displacement.

So, with respect to your 58cc 362 “beating” a stock 70cc saw, the answer is “maybe”. Open the muffler on that 70cc saw and leaving it stock otherwise will likely put the hurt on your 362.

I have an issue with the size of the newer designs. Most are lighter, but the same size as older models with much more displacement.

Thanks for the serious answer to a real question. I have one more based on what you said, if you care to answer.

For this 362, let's say you put a 25 inch bar on it (max size according to Stihl). Say you have a stock 70cc saw with a 25cc bar. Are you saying that the 70cc saw would, in general, usually/always win? Or is it likely the badboy ported 362 would hold its own?

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's a serious question. No need to buy a 70cc saw if the ported 362 is that or more. I have never used a 70cc saw. A 70cc saw is 18.6% bigger than a 59cc ms362. So, could/should it be

I bumped you back to the top. You weren't getting any traction. I was curious what others would say.

Steven

K Mueller

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You should be just fine with that ported 362 running a 25” bar. I wouldn’t trade it in for a stock 70cc saw if it where me. Do you find the need for a larger saw?

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You should be just fine with that ported 362 running a 25” bar. I wouldn’t trade it in for a stock 70cc saw if it where me. Do you find the need for a larger saw?

I probably won't get a 70cc, probably will put a 25 inch bar on the 362. I just wanted to know the answer to this question. drf26 is a builder and he should know and if he says a ported saw can gain 20-30%, that fits with my take on it and I wanted to know because I am one who is quite amazed at a ported saw. I can't imagine me, personally, needing anything bigger than a 25 inch bar. I just have to occasionally tackle blow down trees on my property due to wind and they are ALWAYS big ones. Red oak, white oak. I can get them with a 20 inch bar but it seems for the biggest, it would be easiest with a 25 inch bar. His answer also helps me with my overall impression of porting. Some say it's kind of nonsense but I can't comprehend that. I think modding works.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
10:30 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My limited experience says that 25" is a lot if not too much for a 60cc PH - this is if You actually intend to utilize the whole bar length!

My, other than mildly muffler modded, factory stock PS-7300 will outrun my ported PS-6100, same chain and beech log - full utilization of the bar, just shy of being buried.
Don't get me wrong, my PS-6100 is crazy fast in wood under 20", but I feel she is losing ground as soon as the 20" bar is fully buried in a log.

FYI, my firewood is turkey oak, oak, beech and some ash - ash is the softest, turkey oak the hardest.

I like having a good cc range to pick from, that way it is always fun to buck logs no matter what diameter they are.

If You already have a ported 60cc saw and a 25" B&C setup, I'd keep the chains rakers conservative to maintain chain speed - or utilize skip/semi skip chains.

Last edited:

old guy

Love me some Husqvarna
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMHO, a 60cc saw is irrelevant when you have a ported 40-50cc and a ported 70cc.
I was thinking along these lines also, been tinkering with the 346's & 372's for a while now.
But this year I went to work on a couple 359's & a 357 and these just flat get it on.
If I had just one saw it would be a 60 cc.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
IMHO, a 60cc saw is irrelevant when you have a ported 40-50cc and a ported 70cc.

Bingo! Kind of comes back to the ol' 1 saw vs. 2-3 saw plan discussion. Me personally I never really grab a 60cc saw. It's a tween saw size. Rather run a 50cc or 70cc or 90+ cc. But to each their own.

To answer your question more specifically @livemusic even if a ported 60cc saw will hang with a stock 70cc saw, I would rather have the 70cc saw for longer bar work. The chassis, av, and oiler on the 70cc saw are all engineered to handle the work. Can the 60cc saw do it? Probably. Will it wear out faster than the 70cc saw doing it? Probably. Joe Homeowner cuts up 30"+ wood with his ms180 and a 18" "blade" all the time. It'll get the job done until it doesn't. There is really no right or wrong answer to your question and ymmv.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A true 32% h.p increase on a 60cc saw should see it cut with a 80cc saw with say a 25" b/c. Mmmm...not sure bout that one. I think its possible to increase cut times by 32% but that can be different to a HP increase of the same amount which becomes evident with longer bars. But good porting betters what you have and can surely make ones saw change its attitude & cut faster. And who don't want that.