Poison ivy/sumac /oak

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
9:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got a healthy dose of sumac and ivy. Had a tree go down in a storm in the middle of the night. Figured I might oughta get it off the road. I’m pretty much covered in the stuff. Just didn’t want anyone to hit the tree in the night. Anyone have any suggestions for the rash after you already have it. Figured this may be an interesting topic

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not chainsaw related outside of the fact I had one in the truck and ran up on this dead oak tree that had blown over. Middle of the toad. It was sorta around a turn. Felt like I did a good dead. Had ivy or oak growing all over it. I cut it down to size on my way home. Just small enough to the point I could move it. And nah I didn’t bother keeping any for firewood. I washed up real good after I got home but still ended up with a healthy dose.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When the boy and me got into poison oak we got this stuff from the doc.
18db0365963f94c91fe6e22677a20295.jpg

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah I’m too stubborn for the doc. Had it in my lungs an stomach once so I scored some good creams an stuff but I’ve depleted all the good stuff since then

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My son got it real bad when he was about 6 years old. The doc gave him 4 tubes of this stuff so when ever we get into it we share.
Im too stuburn to go to the doc too. I gotta be almost dead befor i go lol.
Yeah I’m too stubborn for the doc. Had it in my lungs an stomach once so I scored some good creams an stuff but I’ve depleted all the good stuff since then

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My son got it real bad when he was about 6 years old. The doc gave him 4 tubes of this stuff so when ever we get into it we share.
Im too stuburn to go to the doc too. I gotta be almost dead befor i go lol.

Yeah man. I’m not needing it that bad just wondering what the other fellas do when they get got. It was just covered in them vines. Felt like it fell there for me to take care of. I just wouldn’t have felt right leaving it there. Someone had hit it they may very well have gotten hurt. I had to check up on the brakes pretty good. I wasn’t going very fast either. But damn *s-word do I ever itch.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ya that stuff sure sucks.

Good of you to clean that up though.
Yeah man. I’m not needing it that bad just wondering what the other fellas do when they get got. It was just covered in them vines. Felt like it fell there for me to take care of. I just wouldn’t have felt right leaving it there. Someone had hit it they may very well have gotten hurt. I had to check up on the brakes pretty good. I wasn’t going very fast either. But damn *s-word do I ever itch.

BuckthornBonnie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it’s bad and affecting your overall health at all, hit up the doc’s for the good stuff.

If it just sucks and bothersome, then we’ve had luck with Benadryl clear and Calamine. There’s a few home remedies that I don’t suggest trying due to risk of infection and/or ineffectiveness. Ice can take the edge off. Wear loose clothing, avoid sweating if you can... try various lotions for relief til you find one that works for you. Gold Bond makes a lotion that gave me some temporary relief.

BuckthornBonnie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I couldn’t find the exact same “clear” that I have online, but it looks like Benadryl repackaged it as “extra strength itch stopping lotion.”
The ticket is cycling the lotions and not over-doing the Benadryl... there are warnings about taking oral Benadryl and the topical version at the same time lol... it must be good stuff.
Mine usually runs its course over 2weeks.

Drptrch

Coastal Fartknocker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thread with-in a thread:
d2deeb6eebe81c8058e9acc2e3692916.jpg

Nor Cal & North SF Bay GTG (November 11-13, 2016)
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...G-(November-11-13,-2016).203410/&share_type=t

9bbda4f5a4c5373735a6cc6e481fa715.jpg

Erik

Big discussion around post # 1775

Here’s the soap
http://smashtherash.com/index.html

Also stomach acid reducer like Pepcid helps. In medical speak it’s an H2 blocker witch stops histamine release which causes a rash and itching

This is from a fire on the Los Padres NF in Central Calif. It has some the oiliest and nastiest poison oak around

044201254a6c730602a85cd6ff9a430a.jpg

Zanfel also

Good luck

Erik

finasteride

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
L-Linsine over the counter non prescription drug. Take a couple tablets orally twice a day. Dries it up your rash and feels much better in about day and its all gone in about a week. Also works for shingles. I used to get poison oak fighting wildland fires and doing land surveying. It's worked for me. Much cheaper than spending your money on a doctor.

https://draxe.com/l-lysine-benefits/

Drptrch

Coastal Fartknocker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
L-Linsine over the counter non prescription drug. Take a couple tablets orally twice a day. Dries it up your rash and feels much better in about day and its all gone in about a week. Also works for shingles. I used to get poison oak fighting wildland fires and doing land surveying. It's worked for me. Much cheaper than spending your money on a doctor.

Good to know.

Erik

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I'll have to get some of that! My son gets it every year at least once he washes with a poison ivy soap that seams to help. I'll take a picture of it

Brian72

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've found a good way to prevent it. After a day of cutting, I take a luke warm bath and put a good amount of Dawn dish liquid in the water. It really helps to get the oils off your skin.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk