Poison ivy/sumac /oak

Agr516

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Get over your stubbornness about the doctor and go. Get a prescription for Prednisone and a steroid cream. That over the counter stuff might as well be sugar pills to me. If it gets to itching too bad and you need some relief, jump in the shower and turn the water up to just below scalding temperature. It will make your knees buckle it feels so good.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hot water is definitely a hella good feel. It’s homestly not medically emergency. I’ve had it that bad. I thought I just didn’t get it any more. But my right arm feet ect. Yeah. Just itches.

Drptrch

Coastal Fartknocker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Get over your stubbornness about the doctor and go. Get a prescription for Prednisone and a steroid cream. That over the counter stuff might as well be sugar pills to me. If it gets to itching too bad and you need some relief, jump in the shower and turn the water up to just below scalding temperature. It will make your knees buckle it feels so good.

Then wipe some Tiger Balm on it, you’ll forget you had the oak/ivy

Erik

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The worse I ever got it was when I was 16 and went 'skinny dipping'. I never realized all the bushes around the stream were poison oak. My 'external organs' swelled up so much I could have serviced a horse.

I agree on the hot water trick. Whether it is poison ivy, mosquito bites, whatever causes the skin to itch - just turn the water up hot (your eyes will bug out from the itching). As soon as you can regain your composure, turn the water even hotter and do it again, and again until you risk being scalded.

The itching will go away for about an hour and then you have to repeat the experience.

One of my fences is covered with a vine I'm allergic to. I don't know what that stuff is, but I hate trimming that fence. I've got to find some neighbor kid that's looking for some spending money.

bryanr2

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Go to your local health food store and buy medicinal vinigar with the “mother” in it. Take a cotton ball or clean rag, dab it in the vinigar and then put it on the rash, it will dry up within 24 hours. Yes it stinks, yes it stings a bit. It takes the itch out immediately. Also good on bee stings. It will also take the swelling out of joints if you are suffering from arthritis.

You are looking for Braggs apple cider vinigar.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Go to your local health food store and buy medicinal vinigar with the “mother” in it. Take a cotton ball or clean rag, dab it in the vinigar and then put it on the rash, it will dry up within 24 hours. Yes it stinks, yes it stings a bit. It takes the itch out immediately. Also good on bee stings. It will also take the swelling out of joints if you are suffering from arthritis.

I’ll check into that. Been using regular and cider vinegar. It certainly does help. I’m gettin better

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
12:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Best answer. Nothing over the counter will work like prednisone.

bryanr2

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

And it is much cheaper than going to the doctor and then go in and buying a prescription.

RyeThomas

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve learned to keep a stock of Tecnu, if I go near the woods or cut anything with my saws, weed eater, etc I shower with it afterwords. Once I get it nothing but a prescription drug helps, so I try my best to prevent it.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jesus christ...

Just scratch it open and put some Clorox on it.

But apple cider vinegar really takes the sting and itch away...I'm covered in the sh!t all summer.

WKEND LUMBERJAK

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Going to try this.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I don't get ivy or oak but do get sumac if my skin is scrapped or scratched. Sumac under the skin is no fun. It runs in oil trails and leaves temporary scars.

Plantain weed will knock it right out. Wikipedia and you will thank me later if it works for you.
Just looked it up. It has been changed to Plantango major. It grows in our lawns, everywhere really. My drive stone is colonized with it. Had many people thanks me several times after giving them a quart of it ground up in a blender.

Pull them out wash them off and in the blender they go. The great green goo to the rescue.

WKEND LUMBERJAK

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I don't get ivy or oak but do get sumac if my skin is scrapped or scratched. Sumac under the skin is no fun. It runs in oil trails and leaves temporary scars.

Plantain weed will knock it right out. Wikipedia and you will thank me later if it works for you.
Just looked it up. It has been changed to Plantango major. It grows in our lawns, everywhere really. My drive stone is colonized with it. Had many people thanks me several times after giving them a quart of it ground up in a blender.

Pull them out wash them off and in the blender they go. The great green goo to the rescue.

Just cut some plantain and added not braggs but eguivalent vinegar with the mother to liquify it in the blender. Already relieved I will report back.

Last edited: