High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Pawn Shop & Ebay Chainsaw Buying Experiences?

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey guys,

I've bought one chainsaw from a Pawn Ship yrs ago, an 034 power-head only.
It needed some light carb work, fuel lines, bar/chain and turned out to be super runner.
I certainly have seen tons of Pawn Shop saws that looked hideous & abused as well!

I'm yet to purchase any saw from Ebay...mostly just bars, chains, and miscellaneous parts.
Yet, I'm seeing some fairly decent deals with some online Pawn Shops & Ebay as well.
Looks like a few MS 440/441 & 044's are becoming rather common and within sensible price
ranges.
What can you studs share about both of these venues--Pro & Con, things to watch out for?
Also what about Ebay's Policy on junk saws passed off as good runners? Is it a big hassle getting your $$$ back, if you buy a turd instead of a trophy? I'm aware that you should stay with 98% Seller Ratings or above.

Thanks,
Reg

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
6:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey guys,

I've bought one chainsaw from a Pawn Ship yrs ago, an 034 power-head only.
It needed some light carb work, fuel lines, bar/chain and turned out to be super runner.
I certainly have seen tons of Pawn Shop saws that looked hideous & abused as well!

I'm yet to purchase any saw from Ebay...mostly just bars, chains, and miscellaneous parts.
Yet, I'm seeing some fairly decent deals with some online Pawn Shops & Ebay as well.
Looks like a few MS 440/441 & 044's are becoming rather common and within sensible price
ranges.
What can you studs share about both of these venues--Pro & Con, things to watch out for?
Also what about Ebay's Policy on junk saws passed off as good runners? Is it a big hassle getting your $$$ back, if you buy a turd instead of a trophy? I'm aware that you should stay with 98% Seller Ratings or above.

Thanks,
Reg

I bought an Echo from a pawn shop on eBay. The saw was great and they shipped really quick. The only problem I had was they weren't OPE folks.

They shipped the saw with gas in it and caused me a whole bunch of trouble. I use a shipping company in Oregon. They shipped the saw and it leaked through the box.

The mail folks returned the saw and then they refused to ship the saw to me. I had to send it to my mom and then have her ship it.

It was a lot of cost for nothing. Long story short, make sure they drain the gas and oil before shipping. Otherwise, the saw was in in great condition.

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pay with PayPal. If a seller mis represents something, and you prove it especially with pictures a video or compression numbers there is no way that you will loose a dispute. They will almost always side with you if your case is a real one with legit concern. This is for paying on eBay that is.

brandonstclair20

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have a couple times on eBay and all was a slight disappointment except 1. For example 140psi compression but piston scored. I bought a really clean MS200 at a pawn shop for $250. I bought a backpack leaf blower for $15 and it was super cobbled together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Saw in hand only for me or trusted competent ope or fhc members with a good sales history. The pawn shop is pretty easy pickins if you spend a day as a buyer. Show your cash when you are interested. Most shops offer thirty day credit returns if needed. Quality people back up their stuff.

Ebay is for parts imo. Still some good deals there just not for me.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i bought a few saws on rbay that had to get returned. it was easy as could be, as said above, if you can make a good argument and show pics. pawn shops near me want an arm and a leg for chainsaws for some reason. the one closest had a 257 on the shelf that was absolutely beat to chit. couldve been mine for only $375 lol

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well here is a email/paper trail of a recent "attempt" on FleaBay to merely obtain information about a MS 440 that a turd head had for sell!
In spite of my blood pressure spiking and almost going into nuclear meltdown mode...I decided to take the high road and reported this dope to Ebay watchdogs and they filed an immediate report against him.
They advised me since he's only been around since early 2019 and is conducting himself unprofessional, not to purchase anything from him.
Here is our exchange:

mail

1.) New message to: jmp3_21
Hello,
I noticed you have a 100% seller rating--Congrats!
Tell me some details about this saw...what is the compression reading and are there any issues with piston, cylinder, carburetor?
Also is it all original OEM parts and has it been rebuilt?

Thanks,
Reggie

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193023706169?ul_noapp=true

mail
Current Bid: $325.00
Auction ends Aug 07, 2019 10:01 PDT
Bids: 0
2.) New message from: jmp3_21 (9)
It’s a chain saw? I’m not a genius or chain saw guy. All I know is it runs great and has had all filters replace with new full and clutch spring replace.

3.) Me - I can see it's a chainsaw. The questions I asked are not genius level questions, just the things I would need to know in order to make an educated purchasing decision.
I'm factoring what other "possible cost" may be involved if I were to buy it.

4.)
New message from: jmp3_21 (9)
Saw works as I believe it should. I understand if you don’t have the income to support it’s purchase!

How would you studs have handled this?

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well here is a email/paper trail of a recent "attempt" on FleaBay to merely obtain information about a MS 440 that a turd head had for sell!
In spite of my blood pressure spiking and almost going into nuclear meltdown mode...I decided to take the high road and reported this dope to Ebay watchdogs and they filed an immediate report against him.
They advised me since he's only been around since early 2019 and is conducting himself unprofessional, not to purchase anything from him.
Here is our exchange:

mail

1.) New message to: jmp3_21
Hello,
I noticed you have a 100% seller rating--Congrats!
Tell me some details about this saw...what is the compression reading and are there any issues with piston, cylinder, carburetor?
Also is it all original OEM parts and has it been rebuilt?

Thanks,
Reggie

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193023706169?ul_noapp=true

mail
Current Bid: $325.00

Auction ends Aug 07, 2019 10:01 PDT
Bids: 0
2.) New message from: jmp3_21 (9)
It’s a chain saw? I’m not a genius or chain saw guy. All I know is it runs great and has had all filters replace with new full and clutch spring replace.

3.) Me - I can see it's a chainsaw. The questions I asked are not genius level questions, just the things I would need to know in order to make an educated purchasing decision.
I'm factoring what other "possible cost" may be involved if I were to buy it.

4.) New message from: jmp3_21 (9)
Saw works as I believe it should. I understand if you don’t have the income to support it’s purchase!

How would you studs have handled this?

I would of asked for a pic of the serial number then asked about condition of saw.

Personally his response answered everything you need to know, and that is he doesn't have a clue or it's a clapped out POS.

I'd say you dodged a turd.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would of asked for a pic of the serial number then asked about condition of saw.

Personally his response answered everything you need to know, and that is he doesn't have a clue or it's a clapped out POS.

I'd say you dodged a turd.
I agree Dub...glad it happened the way it did.
I'd really rather spend my dough right here with folks who look out for each other and don't mine sharing basic and advanced info on a chainsaw!

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Regarding the above ebay exchange, it's my opinion that unless someone is on this or other chainsaw forum, there is a real good chance they do not know what compression is and what OEM means. They might not know beans about the workings of a saw and might have a legit saw for sale. However, many, maybe even most sellers on ebay DO know saws.

I've bought several saws off Ebay. No problems except one guy shipped the wrong bar. All saws started easily. Def request they drain all fluids.

I've never bought a saw from a pawn shop but have bought other stuff. I have no idea why they mark stuff up so high. Often close to or the same as new price. If something sells new for $300 and is in good condition (and works upon demo), I'd offer a fraction of that. Like $75 to $150, depending on how bad I want it. I say, "Say, I don't know how much you have in this but I'd give you $75 cash for this." They consult their cost and agree and it's done. On the few items I have ever made an offer, I don't recall ever being turned down. Their cost on this stuff isn't much on most of what they get. A lot of items, their cost is pennies on the dollar.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMO you are buying a pig in a poke on a flea bay saw so bid accordingly .I've basically been lucky but some have not .My best have been either from the "dead pile" at a dealer or from forums .There's Craigs list too which some are pretty good deals plus you are only dealing with the owner not the rest of the internet crowd .
As far as flea bay parts ,they can vary .If for example you don't know what a particular part for say a Stihl product sells for from a dealer you could be paying too much plus shipping on top of that--just saying ---

brandonstclair20

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I’ve had some bad experiences selling on eBay too. I sold a Husqvarna 45 parts saw for $20. Chain brake did not work, was stated in the ad that chain brake didn’t work. Buyer wanted to send the saw back because the brake band was broken. I sold a poulan 4200 parts saw. Compression was only 50 psi. It was listed in the description that the saw had low compression and it was only 50
Psi. Buyer sent it back because the piston was scored and it has an air leak. Crazy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dahmer

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a 6401 Makita on eBay from a guy with 100 rating. Said Saw was excellent, showed a pic of a pressure gauge at 140. Got saw and unpacked it, grabbed pull handle and saw slowly dropped, hmmm, that’s not 140. Pulled muffler, piston looked like a bar code. Just for the heck of it I pulled clutch cover and clutch drum, clutch was welded on fingers and in backwards. Immediately contacted seller. He went nuts, claimed I had stripped saw and replaced his good parts with bad ones. Showed him the time I received saw and the time I contacted him. Though to do all that in 15 minutes. He sent me a return shipping label, saw had to be there Friday to get my money back. Saw got there Thursday, nobody to sign for delivery. Friday, nobody to sign for delivery. Called PayPal, sent them screen shots of our conversations and of Post Office trying to deliver it back to him in allotted time. Got my money refunded that night.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I landed a Mac 610 ,fleabay on the cheap then made the mistake of telling the guy what I thought was wrong with it.Then the rascal didn't ship it . A couple of pm's back and forth ,still no saw .He tried to get me to accept paypal which I didn't use at that time .I finally lost my patience and gave him 72 hours to either send me the refund,postal money order with the serial number or the saw with the shipping numbers .I got the saw but several weeks later he got kicked off flea bay because of negative feed back from others .They come and they go I guess .
Having said all that I've found more honest sellers than dishonest .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A little side track .I was working on an install of a 300 million dollar expansion on a new engine line at work .One of the German company reps lived near Essen Germany and had a Bob Cat skid loader with a worn out engine .I told him about Small engine warehouse in Indiana .Then I suggested E-Bay Germany .He found a good used one 30 miles from his home .Paid for it,Pay Pal and installed it when he went back to Germany on vacation .Neat,you can shop all over the world from a chair .He did it from a lap top standing up in Ohio in about 5 minutes .

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a 6401 Makita on eBay from a guy with 100 rating. Said Saw was excellent, showed a pic of a pressure gauge at 140. Got saw and unpacked it, grabbed pull handle and saw slowly dropped, hmmm, that’s not 140. Pulled muffler, piston looked like a bar code. Just for the heck of it I pulled clutch cover and clutch drum, clutch was welded on fingers and in backwards. Immediately contacted seller. He went nuts, claimed I had stripped saw and replaced his good parts with bad ones. Showed him the time I received saw and the time I contacted him. Though to do all that in 15 minutes. He sent me a return shipping label, saw had to be there Friday to get my money back. Saw got there Thursday, nobody to sign for delivery. Friday, nobody to sign for delivery. Called PayPal, sent them screen shots of our conversations and of Post Office trying to deliver it back to him in allotted time. Got my money refunded that night.
AWESOME!!!!:chuck:

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not saying a good deal can't be had, but I figure every whole saw to be a problem saw on E-bay when purchasing. I eyeball it over real good and see if I think it has enough good parts to it and buy accordingly. One such occurrence comes to mind, I was looking for a saw to get some parts from and found one, no bad representation was given, but I figured it must be burned up, when it arrived it surely was and but good. I left the fella a feed back message thanking him for a great running saw that fired up in just two pulls! Wonder what he thought when he read that, maybe he figured he made a mistake! Lol
Fortunately enough, most saws end up being way over bid to even give consideration.
Never sold on E-bay, with their policy's you sell a good saw and it will come back with a toasted top end, while the feller you sold it to is out cutting with his saw he repaired for free while leaving you scratching your head.

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
With the number of members on this and the other chainsaw sites I wouldn`t buy a saw from eBay unless it was the rarest saw out there. There is about any saw one would want if an ad is posted in the Trading Posts or just put a wanted ad in your sig line. Sure there is a chance one could get a diamond from eBay but its just like gambling, not going to happen often. Even parts saws are a gamble as many are a conglomeration of culled out parts from guys rebuilding saws, all the good parts went on the rebuild, all the cast offs went on the parts saw being sold.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
With the number of members on this and the other chainsaw sites I wouldn`t buy a saw from eBay unless it was the rarest saw out there. There is about any saw one would want if an ad is posted in the Trading Posts or just put a wanted ad in your sig line. Sure there is a chance one could get a diamond from eBay but its just like gambling, not going to happen often. Even parts saws are a gamble as many are a conglomeration of culled out parts from guys rebuilding saws, all the good parts went on the rebuild, all the cast offs went on the parts saw being sold.
^