Part One: The Exhaust Port

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
12:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So on exhaust shape. Flat roof is best because more port is opening at once thus allowing the combustion pressure to force more exhaust out quickly creating kind of a vacuum to pull out the rest? Instead of oval which vents highest combustion pressure through the small gap at the peak of the port when it begins to open. Which doesn't "pull" as much exhaust out with it. Just making sure I'm straight on that
That sure sounds good

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And yeah, it's one of my better runners too. There's something to it, that's for sure
That's 2 now that are "stronger runners" that have flatter exhaust than most would call "normal" on a woods port saw. Exhaust scavenging or vacuum, whichever we call it is key.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's 2 now that are "stronger runners" that have flatter exhaust than most would call "normal" on a woods port saw. Exhaust scavenging or vacuum, whichever we call it is key.
Over 50 percent of exhaust flow is right when the port opens. The larger the area, the faster it's out

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Guy that ported my snowmobile made the ex. port wider at the top and tapered back down to stock width at the bottom. He said it wasn't necessary to be that wide at the bottom

Smart thinking methinks. Helps reduce ring wear too I would wager

SOS Ridgerider

Muffler Modded Member
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have to say most of this is way above my pay grade, but it's very interesting as I learn and understand more. The different questions and explanations make it easier for me to understand, as I might not understand something when it's explained one way, but I'll pick it up from someone else. Great thread! Loving it.
I'm not even educated enough to come up with a stupid question, so I'll keep reading until I can. Lol.