One ring vs two

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was young and stupid......and I broke the law. Being locked up was the best thing that ever happened to me. I left that experience a different person.
That's what we like about the Monkey (not that he been in the locker) but he owns his story, his mistakes & past demons, is a little rough on the outside, has a funky faded tatt but inside is softer with a heart of gold. Helps folks out, is honest, hard working and says it how it is. Poke him with a stick and be an ass you get a taste of the supressed side and eat monkey poo. Black and white no grey.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
10:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There has to be a way to weld to the crank. Ain't there?
Welding cast is a crapshoot, at best.
Especially under high RPM with harmonics and centrifugal forces added, its a recipe for disaster.
There is a reason why they try to add Mallory metal perpendicular to the rotational axis on high RPM crankshafts

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I figure welding cast is about 75/25 on breaking. For ornamental with no movement it's fine.
Ornamental and no moving .......... take your pick : MIG, TIG, stick, heck even oxy welding will hold

I found that if its important, it gets flame-sprayed

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So how would one go about building a full circle crank then?

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would say that starting with steel or stainless steel would be easier? I'm not a metal guy, but I know there are many different types and grades.

Man I eat a lot popcorn!! :icon_popcorn:
I couldn't find the one of me eating my foot!!!

awol

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
So how would one go about building a full circle crank then?
Well I don't know how the pros do it, but I started out by chucking up the original crank between centers, and taking a real light cut all the way around to true it up. I then took measurements and ordered crank saver sleeves of the same dimension, fitted them on the crank, and filled the voids with jb weld. After it hardened I had to chuck it back up and do some cleanup. It looks kinda ruff but works ok. This was my first, and I have another that needs done now.

20160129_203636.jpg

polkat

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have thought at one time to have the other half machined out of aluminum and have a keyway cut on both sides drill and tap and a lot of good locktite and giver. Still think about it every once in a while

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well I don't know how the pros do it, but I started out by chucking up the original crank between centers, and taking a real light cut all the way around to true it up. I then took measurements and ordered crank saver sleeves of the same dimension, fitted them on the crank, and filled the voids with jb weld. After it hardened I had to chuck it back up and do some cleanup. It looks kinda ruff but works ok. This was my first, and I have another that needs done now.

View attachment 7869
When can I send you one?

tree monkey

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

View attachment 7869

that's basically how I do mine. did you need to in large the case for clearance?

awol

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
that's basically how I do mine. did you need to in large the case for clearance?
No, but the clearance was less than the original. The crank saver rings are real thin, probably about .020".

Whenever I get it back will be fine.
Give me a call anytime if ya want.