Super OPE Member
Local time
7:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
need I hone the cylinder
Scotchbrite or similar
Scotchbrite and new rings have worked wonders on a few of my machines. I just hand rub the Scotchbrite, have not chucked it in a drill yet. I just take my time and seems to work really good. Even got a buddies MS 291 cylinder in working shape that still had some score marks that were a little deep. For his I put a new piston and rings, but Scotchbrited the cylinder because we could not find a new/used one for under $300 (even tried a MS 290 cylinder I got for $13...nope, wrong pattern...lol). We were very happy and surprised when it fired up and has been running since!

skippymud

New OPE Member
Local time
10:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hmmm, that I understand. Keeps the compression reading close to the chamber, hence a more accurate figure [from/in] the chamber

Right now, what I am looking for is a more/less figure, to know how far to go in my rebuild with 110 being quite marginal. Though the skirt and chamber really look pretty and not scored at all. Me happy so far and so excited to get this running

At this point, I will get the key and see where this goes. I love this *s-word. Keep it coming

Did you see the dart in my previous picture. Nice touch, uh?
I replaced the flywheel key, reassembled the unit and it now runs like new. Thanks for all of your help, folks!! - Ken