HELP! Old Ditch Witch Trencher info needed

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone ever seen one of these? any idea of a model number? I can see a ditch witch sticker thats been painted over, I am looking to find parts for it but I cannot find a model # or a serial # tag on it anywhere, it has a Wisconsin THD engine and I am having trouble finding a replacement distributor cap and rotor.

one thing I can say is that this thing is way cool, it runs and digs a nice trench 36 inches deep no problem, and I would like to be able to keep this machine working when needed, so any info or ideas is greatly apprecited

Attachments

• IMG_20240410_185456563~2.jpg
    IMG_20240410_185456563~2.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20240410_185509618~2.jpg
    IMG_20240410_185509618~2.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Distributor parts can be found at NAPA. D/W parts might need to have a donor/parts machine sitting in the back 40.
I can't help with model numbers -- GOOD LUCK.

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
thanks for recommending napa, I will give them a try, it's a good working old machine and I would like to keep it running as long as possible

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone ever seen one of these? any idea of a model number? I can see a ditch witch sticker thats been painted over, I am looking to find parts for it but I cannot find a model # or a serial # tag on it anywhere, it has a Wisconsin THD engine and I am having trouble finding a replacement distributor cap and rotor.

one thing I can say is that this thing is way cool, it runs and digs a nice trench 36 inches deep no problem, and I would like to be able to keep this machine working when needed, so any info or ideas is greatly apprecited
Those THD engines fire on every stroke, it is a lost spark engine, basically a series circuit through both spark plugs if my memory serves me correctly. Pretty simple. They last forever also if oil is kept in them.

Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You may know this but most of the older distributors have a tag for ID The Continental engine on my welder had burnt points (BAD) so I went to the Bay, did some digging and found a module (electronic ignition conversion) for $40. Points & condensers now are 10X s what they used to be so it is a good investment as the points were going to be 25 or 30$. You might check the Module availability for your Wisconsin.

Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those THD engines fire on every stroke, it is a lost spark engine, basically a series circuit through both spark plugs if my memory serves me correctly. Pretty simple. They last forever also if oil is kept in them.
Briggs twins did and years ago I got caught off guard trouble shooting one on my trencher. The valve seat was getting loose in the block and I thought spark was the issue because it would work good for a while then loose power. I replaced it with an ONAN.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lnk

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
after alot of online searching the closest model to it I can find is a 2200 series, it looks very similiar but it has a steering wheel, mine pivots the whole front diff left or right with a lever.

I am charging my inlaws to dig a trench with it and would like to put the money i am charging right back into the machine.

as far as maintenance I really have no idea of how to properly maintain it, I grease all the zerks and keep engine oil topped off and look for hydraulic leaks, I am always looking for worn parts, I have no idea of what the common wear items are, but I am sure I will find out what the weak points are the old fashioned way.

Reactions: Lnk

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Briggs twins did and years ago I got caught off guard trouble shooting one on my trencher. The valve seat was getting loose in the block and I thought spark was the issue because it would work good for a while then loose power. I replaced it with an ONAN.
I have an onan p220g in my mower. When I work it hard, it starts to smoke and use a little oil. Time to remove the tins and give it a good fin cleaning. I like the sound of the onan.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you Google it you can find the caps,around $20 .If worse comes to worse you could fire a double coil which I once did for a Caterpillar D4 pony motor using a dry cell 6 volt lantern battery .Afterwards I did repair the bad magneto coil .Onan pancake two cylinder engines used a double coil .