beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
2:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most of the welding I do at work is done in front of or under a vent hood.

At home is a different story. I usually have a nose full of black junk that I know is not good for you. Try to have the doors open as much as possible but it doesn't work so well with MIG welding.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I can get funding thru some programs for schooling, might look into gun smithing.

Sent from Hoskvarna hills
Only a couple of yrs back from your good self so I understand where your coming from with a change of work at this time in life. I had a similar dilemma 3-4 yrs back as i could not see a ongoing future earning a living from metalwork and not wishing to give up working for myself. Stacking shelves in a shop did not appeal to me !
Farming /Timber, horticulture and metalwork background with all that brings caused one of those... "Lightbulb " moments in the wee small hrs.....saws..mowers..trimmers....!!! Have workshop.....have some knowledge .....have tools . ....now all i need is to get folks who need repairs and servicing doing to use me rather than going to the main dealers at £60-70 a hr. Still building the contacts and the service book up, but things are getting there.
The ideas are flowing already by the sound of it...Gun smithing..Well for sure you have guns in the US :D.
'Lightbulb " moments do happen :thumbsup:

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
1:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Only a couple of yrs back from your good self so I understand where your coming from with a change of work at this time in life. I had a similar dilemma 3-4 yrs back as i could not see a ongoing future earning a living from metalwork and not wishing to give up working for myself. Stacking shelves in a shop did not appeal to me !
Farming /Timber, horticulture and metalwork background with all that brings caused one of those... "Lightbulb " moments in the wee small hrs.....saws..mowers..trimmers....!!! Have workshop.....have some knowledge .....have tools . ....now all i need is to get folks who need repairs and servicing doing to use me rather than going to the main dealers at £60-70 a hr. Still building the contacts and the service book up, but things are getting there.
The ideas are flowing already by the sound of it...Gun smithing..Well for sure you have guns in the US :D.
'Lightbulb " moments do happen :thumbsup:

Is harder at this age to start over with a new career, that's for sure. Think a fella needs to diversify as much as possible. I'm still hoping the power saw gig will take for me. Knowing that life can be fleeting, might as well be happy at what a guy has to do for a living. Being humble during the transition is the hard part. Humble I am.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If i could start again commercial hvac is where it's at i know guy's pulling big dollars they use laptops and monitor temps and units at hospitals bank's etc they've got it made lol and residential hvac is good career to i was in hardwood flooring and tile it junks your knees and back same with my nephew hes a master plumber he has to have knee surgery soon were all getting older lol

Last edited:

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow, how do you get 600 pounds of wire to the feeder? I believe the stick out usually has to do with getting the proper closed circuit voltage, if I remember correctly.

Think ya just start the end into the feeder, and make sure it dosent short out. Hope I'd dosent have many kinks or twists, them feeders got some pull lol

So you younger guys out there welding pay heed, get the proper ventilation for yourself if you want to stay in the game long and not burn out.

View attachment 50108

Yup, this is our mill. Short of some small stuff that's inside it's all galvanized.
Welding inside grain bins at that job got my eyes too. Even with a hood on the arc would reflect. After one day working in those I had to call in the next day cause my eyes hurt so bad.

My hat goes off to you guys, Joe, Steve and Dallas. It's a rough line of work

I think the k wool/insulation is my biggest enemy... I try not to fiddle with it much without a mask. Got lots of air flow, only reason I was complaining bout being cold lol. I'd toss a lazy boy on the platform iffin I could find one flame resistant.

Try and make my area comfortable, cause I'm gonna be in 1 spot a long time..

I wouldn't want to do this full time. Avg 2 month a year for the last 3.

I have no formal training/certs. When I started with dad, I had never arc welded.... first thing we do on a job is weld beams in to hold the mill. Don't want those falling off lol.

Jack of all trades master of none, has been what I was told my entire life.

Afternoon/evening fellas.

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got into a patch of nice stuff at the end of the day. Did 3 gallons of gas today through the 661. Feel like someone beat me with a club. Didn't really think I was hammering on it that much but evedently I was.
52f7e0c2820047850a51670acd19ae38.jpg
6ef98adf7575d9f60bb1e16a7a369d7d.jpg

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Howdy Joe.

Gds.

The ice/snow gonna make it over the pond??

Got into a patch of nice stuff at the end of the day. Did 3 gallons of gas today through the 661. Feel like someone beat me with a club. Didn't really think I was hammering on it that much but evedently I was.
52f7e0c2820047850a51670acd19ae38.jpg
6ef98adf7575d9f60bb1e16a7a369d7d.jpg

Pics of the club? :)lol

Status
Not open for further replies.