Not open for further replies.

Genius

First member of ASlite to receive a infraction
Local time
2:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So you younger guys out there welding pay heed, get the proper ventilation for yourself if you want to stay in the game long and not burn out.

I worked 6 months for a company that did service work and built feed mills and grain set ups. I ended up doing a lot of fabrication in the shop and most everything we worked on was galvanized. I got sick twice. They had zero ventilation in the shop.

I decided that that place wasn't for me. Most of the guys were in their late 40's and early 50's. Most had respiratory issues from doing the job for 20-30 years.
I enjoy welding and learned a lot though.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I worked 6 months for a company that did service work and built feed mills and grain set ups. I ended up doing a lot of fabrication in the shop and most everything we worked on was galvanized. I got sick twice. They had zero ventilation in the shop.

I decided that that place wasn't for me. Most of the guys were in their late 40's and early 50's. Most had respiratory issues from doing the job for 20-30 years.
I enjoy welding and learned a lot though.
Zinc is evil stuff.....I drank a pint of milk in the morning on the times i had to weld up something that had been Galved in the past. Lines your gut to help against absorbing it. BAD ASS STUFF though so avoid as much as i can. Agg industry is littered with things galved over here to.

Genius

First member of ASlite to receive a infraction
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Zinc is evil stuff.....I drank a pint of milk in the morning on the times i had to weld up something that had been Galved in the past. Lines your gut to help against absorbing it. BAD ASS STUFF though so avoid as much as i can. Agg industry is littered with things galved over here to.

IMG_0331.JPG

Yup, this is our mill. Short of some small stuff that's inside it's all galvanized.
Welding inside grain bins at that job got my eyes too. Even with a hood on the arc would reflect. After one day working in those I had to call in the next day cause my eyes hurt so bad.

My hat goes off to you guys, Joe, Steve and Dallas. It's a rough line of work

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
View attachment 50108

Yup, this is our mill. Short of some small stuff that's inside it's all galvanized.
Welding inside grain bins at that job got my eyes too. Even with a hood on the arc would reflect. After one day working in those I had to call in the next day cause my eyes hurt so bad.

My hat goes off to you guys, Joe, Steve and Dallas. It's a rough line of work
Its The stuff that got broken and then had to be repaired was the pain in my butt....and lets face it , once the galv is burnt even if painted over with "Cold Galvanise" its never as rust resistant. Dairy farm old style herring- bone milking stalls was the sort of thing i used to get involved in. Blacksmith and fab...you tend to get asked to do all sorts.

Last edited:

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
1:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Funny story about welding Galvanized, our welding teacher told us not to do it if at all possible as the problems of zinc poisoning were not worth it. Then proceeds to issue us galvanized plates to do weld samples, I was the only one in class that refused and stuck to my guns. A few weeks later he congratulated me and handed me pieces of hot rolled plate to do my assignment on.

Coltont

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
3d55c9cdd46177c08d7c5f8031553911.jpg
Not the biggest timber but the quality is good.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My whole world revolves around making sawdust now. Carpenters Helper, Milling Lumber, Firewood Cutting, and Power Saw Testing. Sawdust is good to me, the more sawdust in the wind, the better.
Things that do wood and grass all the way for me mostly ....No..Not that sort of grass !:D

hoskvarna

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
1:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have been welding for 20+yrs on new steel making planters and fixing stuff on the farm.
Like u guys coughing and hakin all the time.
Got permanently laid off last year, I am better but its still there.
Get bronchitis 1-2 times a year now. I will not look for a job welding again , full time anyway.
I am on workcomp now from a work injury, pulled nerves in my shoulder. As soon as I get released from that start looking.
I am 52 so it might be difficult to find a $27hr job.
Its fun to do but like is said u pay for it [emoji853]

Sent from Hoskvarna hills

Status
Not open for further replies.