Not So Pro 3

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
9:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s one of my favorite off road trails in SW Colorado, just outside if Ouray.

I've done that trail, been a few years. When I first moved out here, a good friend of mine Bill, had a jeep shop in Grand Junkyard. Friday afternoons several of us would load two modded CJ's and a rock buggy on my big GN trailer and head for SW CO, or to Moab for the weekend. 25 years ago Moab was a fun place, not the trendy hipster infested place like it is now.

We went wheeling almost every weekend. Spent a lot of time going to SW CO, did all the big trails down there more then once, poughkeepsie, black bear, imogene, engineer pass from lake city to Ouray and back, and others I forget the names of. I remember being caught up on imogene in a whiteout blizzard labor day weekend, could hardly see 10-12 feet, we froze are asses off waiting for that storm to pass, in bikini top jeeps, with no doors on them, heaters doing nothing.

Another friend of ours Seth had a bar in Telluride back then, we would leave my rig there, and head up in the hills for a weekend of wheeling & camping, and drinking. We were up in the hills around 11,000 feet, on a trip 4th of July weekend, and crawled out of the tents in the morning to a nice blanket of 4-5" of fresh snow. That was pretty cool. Had a ton of fun down there, I don't miss the hangovers, but miss the hippy chicks that always had a summer camp outside Telluride, running around half naked and partying, skinny dipping at 3am in some near by lake, great times down there. :)

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
10:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good Morning / Evening All. Probably the coldest day this winter that I have been out, even had to put on an extra layer -16C/3F but even that is pretty mild compared to most winters. Go back three years ago and you’ll see lots of -30C and colder days.

These tracks interested me, both deer and coyote on the same trail, I wonder if all the deer are still alive…

IMG_9493.jpeg
IMG_9495.jpeg

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Morning. Looks like the weather crew don’t know sh!t. Wife said we got more then the 2-4 they were calling for. Sleeping on the couch sucked for this. Between the plow trucks and my neighbor clearing snow I was awoken at 415 then again 515. Might just have to make like Andy does

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good morning fellas. Winter’s back. Rain turned to snow overnight. We didn’t get much accumulation since the ground wasn’t froze when it started, but it’s firming up as we speak. 23 now and high of 30 today.
Lucky dog. We got a decent amount and it looks icy underneath.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've done that trail, been a few years. When I first moved out here, a good friend of mine Bill, had a jeep shop in Grand Junkyard. Friday afternoons several of us would load two modded CJ's and a rock buggy on my big GN trailer and head for SW CO, or to Moab for the weekend. 25 years ago Moab was a fun place, not the trendy hipster infested place like it is now.

We went wheeling almost every weekend. Spent a lot of time going to SW CO, did all the big trails down there more then once, poughkeepsie, black bear, imogene, engineer pass from lake city to Ouray and back, and others I forget the names of. I remember being caught up on imogene in a whiteout blizzard labor day weekend, could hardly see 10-12 feet, we froze are asses off waiting for that storm to pass, in bikini top jeeps, with no doors on them, heaters doing nothing.

Another friend of ours Seth had a bar in Telluride back then, we would leave my rig there, and head up in the hills for a weekend of wheeling & camping, and drinking. We were up in the hills around 11,000 feet, on a trip 4th of July weekend, and crawled out of the tents in the morning to a nice blanket of 4-5" of fresh snow. That was pretty cool. Had a ton of fun down there, I don't miss the hangovers, but miss the hippy chicks that always had a summer camp outside Telluride, running around half naked and partying, skinny dipping at 3am in some near by lake, great times down there. :)
Anything heading to Animas Forks was fun too, like Corkscrew Gulch and California Pass. Ophir was ok and Clear/Crystal (can’t remember which) Lake was a fun short run. We usually camped at the KOA just outside of Ouray, but stayed at the hotel in Ouray a couple times too, and most recently we rented a house a few miles up the foothills outside of Ridgeway. That was my favorite place to stay - elk could be seen every night. We started out going over the mountain passes with Jeep’s and Blazers, even a Ext Cab F250 once. But switched to 4 wheelers for the last few times out there. We could cover a lot more ground, and everyone got to drive and have fun. Just got to be a PITA if we wanted to head into town or catch another trail with all the loading and unloading..

I always enjoyed spending more time in Silverton than Ouray. I guess I was always drawn to its rougher nature - more stuck in time, if you will. Some of my family has taken the steam engine to Durango, but I never got that chance each time we were out.

I’ve been to Telluride a few times too, mostly coming over Imogene, and once on Last Dollar. We attempted Black Bear once but there was a rock slide blocking the trail, so we turned around. My dad has since been all the way across it 2 or 3 times now in his 2012 JK. It’s been 10 years since I’ve been out that way at all.