High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

NOT for hauling firewood

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
5:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Yup, myM35A3C will take speed bumps at 30 MPH quite pleasantly. It's a great street legal skidder and running through 8 + foot tall brush piles, well, thats is just plain fun. now to find a car to play monster truck with. Oh yea and at 13 mpg all day and sips less fuel idling than my stock 12 valve Cummins, which I dearly love.

What year is you M35 and which engine is in it? I've been thinking of a 5 ton for the better steering and other perks, but I wouldn't mind the manual trans of the Deuce, given I could find one w/super singles...

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What year is you M35 and which engine is in it? I've been thinking of a 5 ton for the better steering and other perks, but I wouldn't mind the manual trans of the Deuce, given I could find one w/super singles...

Mine is a 2006 with a Cat 3116 & Allison auto. No air ride seat though, but it is an adjustable spring tensioned one. I too would like power steering, mostly for in town right turns. It would be cheaper and easier for me to install power steering than get a 4 mpg 5 ton that weighs like 9000 lbs more on my driveway.

WOODS

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
M35A3 have 4 speed Allison automatics with no overdrive - older M35s with manuals will out run them.

3s have detuned CATs. Older models have multi-fuels of various makes.

3s have air assist steering, dual brake circuits and CTIS (on cab tire inflate/deflate. Older manual steering and only later one have dual brake circuits. Winch models: 3s are hydraulic; older are pto.

3s single tires older duals.

Ron

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
M35A3 have 4 speed Allison automatics with no overdrive - older M35s with manuals will out run them.

3s have air assist steering, dual brake circuits and CTIS (on cab tire inflate/deflate. Older manual steering and only later one have dual brake circuits. Winch models: 3s are hydraulic; older are pto.

Thanks, I studied up on all of that before I decided on an A3 style truck. The lack of power steering does indeed make for poor city manners. I like the auto trans in stop and go traffic though but would hate to try and service it.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I wonder what the average mileage is of an older multi-fuel (whistler) engined truck. Are the PTO driven winches any less or more powerful than the Hyd? I understand the benefit of dual break circuits in case of a ruptured primary. I also wonder if an older dual wheel equipped truck could be converted to super singles, as I'd suspect that they'd have to do better in the mud and snow (also as a skidder in the muck) as such. Sorry for the thread Hi-Jack. If there's a good place for me to get these answers, give me the site as I'm all ears.

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Thanks, I studied up on all of that before I decided on an A3 style truck. The lack of power steering does indeed make for poor city manners. I like the auto in stop and go traffic though but would hate to try and service it.

Evanrude

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My trusty ol '78 half ton, we call it "The Pickle". It's such a great wood hauler with the 300-6 and 4sp. Now only if it had good brakes...

Old%20178_zps7yaetyyb.jpg

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My trusty ol '78 half ton, we call it "The Pickle". It's such a great wood hauler with the 300-6 and 4sp. Now only if it had good brakes...

Old%20178_zps7yaetyyb.jpg
brakes are optional find the nearest tree that is nice wood hauler. :)

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought mine since my buddy had a 1988 and another bud had a 1990 at that time. Actually both of those are still running. I guess I got the truck built on a Friday.

Bought it brand new with like 50 miles and after about two weeks I noticed that I could see red primer through the paint in various places. Was repainted at the dealership (big mistake). Before I sold it with 23k during that it had the radiator replaced, slave cylinder replaced, 4 different ecm, dual tank switch, muffler rotted out and lower wheels wells were beginning to rust. Thank god I was working at a Ford dealership at the time since it seemed to reside there more than at my house.

That experience kept me away from Fords for many years. However, I bought a 2015 Eco beast last year and love it. 17k so far no problems.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I bought mine since my buddy had a 1988 and another bud had a 1990 at that time. Actually both of those are still running. I guess I got the truck built on a Friday.

Bought it brand new with like 50 miles and after about two weeks I noticed that I could see red primer through the paint in various places. Was repainted at the dealership (big mistake). Before I sold it with 23k during that it had the radiator replaced, slave cylinder replaced, 4 different ecm, dual tank switch, muffler rotted out and lower wheels wells were beginning to rust. Thank god I was working at a Ford dealership at the time since it seemed to reside there more than at my house.

That experience kept me away from Fords for many years. However, I bought a 2015 Eco beast last year and love it. 17k so far no problems.
the only rust in my truck is at the rear wheel well both sides i had to do a major tune up when i got it ran like crap because it still had the original ignition parts.
air still blows ice cold and heat is amazing in the winter you can bake a ham on the dashboard.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

here is my other ride. 85 f150 300 i6 3spd auto no air or power brakes but has power steering.
20160716_115947.jpg 20160716_120024.jpg

Evanrude

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice truck @jake wells. Bullnose's are my fav OBS. Ain't very many OBS' round here that look half decent. The salt starts to kill everything over 15 yrs old. My 78's bedsides just flap in the wind going down the road.

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow that is clean.

Salt here too. Even if the topside is shiny the bottom is so rotted out that if you touch a fuel or brake line you are replacing everything.

Guido Salvage

Supreme saw hoeder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a 1990 F250 4x4 that Ford repainted due to blistering paint. Had the same issue on my 1992 F350 4x4 but the "silent" recall was over by then. I just masked the roof off, sanded, primeered and painted that.

Nothing like sitting in your truck in a downpour and seeing chips of paint running down your windshield.

Last edited:

Isaac

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I had a 1990 F250 4x4 that Ford repainted due to blistering paint. Had the same issue on my 1992 F350 4x4 but the "silent" recall was over by then. I just masked the roof off, saved, prime red and painted that.

Nothing like sitting in your truck in a downpour and seeing chips of paint running down your windshield.

Should've bought a Chevy. JK!!!
Everything in my driveway is a ford. Even the company truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk