Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
7:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

This one has hauled a bit of firewood, but being 2wd in mi winters it hasn't fetched much.

Still earning it's keep, bout 5k in the box. From today.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
6:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I love my Dually when I'm hooked up to a heavy trailer, but even with 4x4, it's still a pig in the mud and snow. 4x4 is used in reverse to (hopefully) get me out of what 2x4 got me into... My Dad's '03 F-250 reg/LB 4x4 with a "fixed" 6.0PSD does MUCH better in the muck as does his '97 Z-71 1500... So, since we usually always cut together, and sometimes take 2 trucks, We'll pick from the lineup based off of where we're going and what the prevailing conditions are, along with the job at hand.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I love my Dually when I'm hooked up to a heavy trailer, but even with 4x4, it's still a pig in the mud and snow. 4x4 is used in reverse to (hopefully) get me out of what 2x4 got me into... My Dad's '03 F-250 reg/LB 4x4 with a "fixed" 6.0PSD does MUCH better in the muck as does his '97 Z-71 1500... So, since we usually always cut together, and sometimes take 2 trucks, We'll pick from the lineup based off of where we're going and what the prevailing conditions are, along with the job at hand.

Anymore, we take the loader tractor, and dump trailer to fetch wood. Crew cab dually don't fit in the woods very well or not. The 2 cummins(11,16) are still to nice for firewood duty.

Yes dually are about useless in mud/muck. Especially with all season/hwy tires.

Example

Last winter during a thaw with the old work/wood hauler.

Last edited:

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, my 93 f15o was the first and last 2wd truck I will ever own. Hundreds of pounds of sand and I still could not make it up some driveways. Snow tires probably would have helped. Open rear end....

My 4Runner, well that thing could go through just about anything. Pulled out more than a few supposedly more capable vehicles with it. Electric rear locker, center locking diff, 4.30, 285s MTs, 185k trouble free miles before I had to let her go.

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

This one has hauled a bit of firewood, but being 2wd in mi winters it hasn't fetched much.

Still earning it's keep, bout 5k in the box. From today.
5k in the box, doubtful any of my old trucks could have even towed that much. I pulled an original Model A pickup on an open trailer with that 300 straight 6 with 2.73 gears. I don't think a model A even weighs 3000#. I had 1000-1200# of pavers in the 4Runner multiple times. Best I could do at the time making due with what I had and could afford.

I give you guys credit for using trucks as they are meant to be used. Lots of big dollar lifted Cummings and powerstrokes around here that probably never even pulled a homeowners utility trailer. Heck I rarely see any jacked up diesel pulling anything.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yes, my 93 f15o was the first and last 2wd truck I will ever own. Hundreds of pounds of sand and I still could not make it up some driveways. Snow tires probably would have helped. Open rear end....

My 4Runner, well that thing could go through just about anything. Pulled out more than a few supposedly more capable vehicles with it. Electric rear locker, center locking diff, 4.30, 285s MTs, 185k trouble free miles before I had to let her go.
I had a few 2x4 trucks (best I could afford at the time). If I have another, it will either be an old street rod/rat rod/full restoration, OR it will be a highway only cruiser for pulling a camper, but I'd still be leary of trading traction/cheaper maintenance for better economy. We also have a '06 Toyota Sequoia and it's amazing off-road and does very well on. The only gripes are the back hatch design, the crappy fuel economy and brakes that aren't suited for trailers... For a 7k lb vehicle, it does VERY well in moderate mud. pulling an 18' car trailer or a 3 stall slant horse trailer.

the BMOC

Power Of Wisdom
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Haven't read the whole thread but I'm surprised by the belittling and hatred on the first few pages. Just because you all wouldn't spend the money on certain things doesn't mean it's wrong. Maybe the truck owner has a reason for low profile tires. Maybe it's just a hobby. Who are we to judge?

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
my wee little f150 bring home da wood. my 365 i got christmas in 2015 is pictured also.
you can see my echo 330evl hiding in the back.
20151209_163315.jpg

Isaac

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
here is nice firewood hauler playing in the mud in north western oregon.
wish my wood hauler was this nice.

Yeah, wish I had one of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk