No fire on 394/395 rebuilt saw

Scott chandler

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i have a 394 with conversion to 395 and everything has gone great up until i try to start for first time. No fire at plug. It has a new Oem coil new Oem plug wire new spark plug and tried two different new plugs New switch new kill wire . Even pulled kill wire from coil. Key is in crank and flywheel in right place. Flywheel magnet is strong. Coil spaced with business card and i don't know what else to check. Old coil is probably ok now that it still doesn't have fire !! Thought that was problem. I don't know what else to check and appreciate any suggestions. This saw was running until somebody straight gassed it. Saw even looks new all over but sat for years under bench. Can flywheel go bad over time ? It's strong enough to pull coil tight when adjusting gap so any suggestions Thanks

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Short answer. Yes a flywheel has been known to fail. Rare but is has happened.
What are you checking spark with ?
I would see if i could borrow a coil and or flywheel from somebody to eliminate those. The 395 could are somewhat moody...also check with and without the plug installed. And sometimes the plug is not.making good contact with the coil at the bent up connector spring thing inside the spark plug cap

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i have a 394 with conversion to 395 and everything has gone great up until i try to start for first time. No fire at plug. It has a new Oem coil new Oem plug wire new spark plug and tried two different new plugs New switch new kill wire . Even pulled kill wire from coil. Key is in crank and flywheel in right place. Flywheel magnet is strong. Coil spaced with business card and i don't know what else to check. Old coil is probably ok now that it still doesn't have fire !! Thought that was problem. I don't know what else to check and appreciate any suggestions. This saw was running until somebody straight gassed it. Saw even looks new all over but sat for years under bench. Can flywheel go bad over time ? It's strong enough to pull coil tight when adjusting gap so any suggestions Thanks
Put back the old coil ?

Scott chandler

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok fellas lil update and i wanted to post for others down road with same problem. It’s running with blue spark. Problem was the business card. Must have been a thick card cause after using a dollar bill it had hot spark. Now understand that this is first time starting it after the rebuild. It fired on second pull and due to a little extra oil on everything smoked. Smoked a lot for a minute and wouldn’t idle but it runs. It has a new 395 carb on it so I’m gonna try adjust carb tomorrow. Just want to say i appreciate all the help and will post again when i get kinks worked out of carb. Thanks again