New gun........or two

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
5:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Last Friday night I saw an ad for a reasonably priced Browning BL22 on our local Armslist. I was going to be gone all day Saturday and didn't think the gun would last long, so I didn't contact the seller. When I got home on Saturday, the add was still there, so I sent the guy an email. Didn't hear back Saturday, or this morning, so I grabbed my saws and headed for the woods, figuring the gun had been sold.
Around 1pm my wife showed up and said, some guy with a gun for sale has called the house twice and wants you to call him. I made arrangements and went to meet the guy at a spot half way between us. I bought the BL22 and while we were talking, he said he preferred the Marlin .22 lever guns. I told him I'd been looking for a nice older 39M for a number of years but had yet to find one reasonably priced. He said he had a 39M and a 39A but only needed one and would be willing to sell the other.
I followed him to his house where he pulled out a really nice old 39M. A deal was struck and I headed home with the BL22 and the 39M.
It was a good day!

Marlin 39M on the left, Browning BL22 on the right.

image.jpeg

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a BL .22 Browning and a bigger brother BPR .270 pump. The little lever .22 was made in Japan while the BPR was Portugal. I actually went to the gun shop to buy a BLR 22/250 but changed my mind at the counter and bought the pump instead. Beautiful gun, both the lever & pump have unique quick loading actions. The .22 has a magazine near as long as the barrel, I could fit from memory about 18 subs (mini .22 rounds) or 15 regular hollow points. The subs were so quiet you could shoot them in your backyard!

amberg

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Last Friday night I saw an ad for a reasonably priced Browning BL22 on our local Armslist. I was going to be gone all day Saturday and didn't think the gun would last long, so I didn't contact the seller. When I got home on Saturday, the add was still there, so I sent the guy an email. Didn't hear back Saturday, or this morning, so I grabbed my saws and headed for the woods, figuring the gun had been sold.
Around 1pm my wife showed up and said, some guy with a gun for sale has called the house twice and wants you to call him. I made arrangements and went to meet the guy at a spot half way between us. I bought the BL22 and while we were talking, he said he preferred the Marlin .22 lever guns. I told him I'd been looking for a nice older 39M for a number of years but had yet to find one reasonably priced. He said he had a 39M and a 39A but only needed one and would be willing to sell the other.
I followed him to his house where he pulled out a really nice old 39M. A deal was struck and I headed home with the BL22 and the 39M.
It was a good day!

Marlin 39M on the left, Browning BL22 on the right.

View attachment 146574

Sweet deal there Steve! You plan on leaving them with open sights?

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow, that 39M is worth some serious coin. I was going to get a BL-22 but ended up with a Henry H001T instead. Probably will get a BL-22 at some point though.

Browning BPR? Never knew they made such a thing! Nice looking gun though.

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sweet deal there Steve! You plan on leaving them with open sights?

Yes.
The first thing I did when I got home was pull the scope and mounts off of the Marlin and plug the mounting holes with plug screws. I prefer the lines of the gun without optics. At some point I might mount an aperture sight.
I have other scoped .22 rifles, so optics on these aren't a necessity.

srb08

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was going to get a BL-22 but ended up with a Henry H001T instead. Probably will get a BL-22 at some point though.

I did the same. I'd been looking for a used Browning but bought a Henry H001 as a less expensive substitute. After changing the front sight, it's quite serviceable.
The Henry has a better trigger pull than the Marlin or Browning and is almost the equal of my Winchester 9422.
If the Henry had a steel receiver and barrel band, it would be a great gun.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow, that 39M is worth some serious coin. I was going to get a BL-22 but ended up with a Henry H001T instead. Probably will get a BL-22 at some point though.

Browning BPR? Never knew they made such a thing! Nice looking gun though.
Yeah, the BL-R are the centre fire lever actions & the BP-R are the pumps. Come in 5 or so round sizes. Really cool pump action, you just move it a few inches to reload, nice wooden knurling, gold plated trigger and just down right badass...well not compared to what you guys can buy.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did the same. I'd been looking for a used Browning but bought a Henry H001 as a less expensive substitute. After changing the front sight, it's quite serviceable.
The Henry has a better trigger pull than the Marlin or Browning and is almost the equal of my Winchester 9422.
If the Henry had a steel receiver and barrel band, it would be a great gun.

The octagonal barrel of my H001T sold me on it. The only similar .22 lever action I can think of was the Marlin 1897 Cowboy which will set you back over a grand if you can find one. I don't mind the zamak/aluminum receiver, as my Henry is a working rifle and never going to be a collectible. If it was an 1897 I would feel bad taking it out of the safe!

Yeah, the BL-R are the centre fire lever actions & the BP-R are the pumps. Come in 5 or so round sizes. Really cool pump action, you just move it a few inches to reload, nice wooden knurling, gold plated trigger and just down right badass...well not compared to what you guys can buy.

I have a BLR in .308, it is a very nice gun. A target gun it is not though, with it's skinny carbine style barrel.