High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

I'm done with blackpowder subs for good!

Gullet

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
T7 works well when the charge is set off by a shotgun primer. Not so much with percussion caps or flint. Black powder always works as long as it is dry. I know you use an inline Paul, so T7 works for you. Some of us like a sidelock and want it to fire reliably. I have an inline too. Still use black.
What's a "sidelock"??? Lol

Gullet

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Killed this guy a couple years ago.
T7, Fed Supreme 209 primer, Barnes 250gr.
Over 80 yards.
When the smoke cleared, he simply fell over like a sack of hammers.

IMG_20201024_084406.jpg

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tried out the Traditions Pursuit inline today with Pyro RS. I think this rifle just doesn't like light bullets and/or sabots, still very inconsistent with them. May try those in my sidelocks some time. Switched to my 370 grain Maxis and she was immediately right on the money with 60 grains powder. This is as good as I can do with any rifle that has sights at 60 yards so I'm satisfied.

IMG_20231210_141513550.jpg

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Killed this guy a couple years ago.
T7, Fed Supreme 209 primer, Barnes 250gr.
Over 80 yards.
When the smoke cleared, he simply fell over like a sack of hammers.

View attachment 400074

Wow, very nice! I've got his near twin on the wall.

IMG_20231107_210843049.jpg

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ugh, while cleaning my sidelock today I got a patch stuck at the bottom. Tried to pull it out and the rod came out, leaving the patch and jag in the barrel. I mean, the actual threaded part that the jag screws into came off the rod as well. Any ideas on how I can get it out? Much as I love sidelocks, in lines certainly have their good qualities for dummies like me!

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ugh, while cleaning my sidelock today I got a patch stuck at the bottom. Tried to pull it out and the rod came out, leaving the patch and jag in the barrel. I mean, the actual threaded part that the jag screws into came off the rod as well. Any ideas on how I can get it out? Much as I love sidelocks, in lines certainly have their good qualities for dummies like me!
Got an air compressor? Pull the nipple and blast it with 100psi. Could also feed in some black under the nipple, put a cap on it and shoot it out.

Master Bud II

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I Worked in The Firearm Industry for 10 years Prior to Becoming An Officer. Your Three Best options are.
1. Pulling the Nipple and Trickling in Powder, Replace the nipple, cap & fire into something Soft to catch the Obstruction.
2. They Make A CO2 cartridge adapter ejector that Replace the Nippile on a Side Lock Or Breach plug on an Inline MZ.
3. Use A Barrel Vise And The " Correct " Wrench To Remove the Breach End of the Barrel. And While The Barrel is in The Vise, Drive Out the Obstruction.
On Storing Long Guns Including " MZ's " This Came from A Master Gunsmith, Who Apprentice Under A Grand Master Gunsmith. After Cleaning Heavily Oil The Firearm ( Not Dripping ) Just a Heavy Sheen, Let it Sit for 30 -60 minutes. Then give it a Quick Wipe down with a Clean dry 100% cotton cloth. Then Store " Muzzle Down " this prevents oil from Soaking into the Wood.
In Regards to The Side Lock Mz, THE Day Your Going Out To Shoot. Pull your nipple and Blow out your snail & breach plug with compressed air, and Don't be stingy. And Before Loading your First Charg, fire A Percussion cap through your nipple, to dry it out. I Think That You'll be Much Happier with the Results.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
12:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I Worked in The Firearm Industry for 10 years Prior to Becoming An Officer. Your Three Best options are.
1. Pulling the Nipple and Trickling in Powder, Replace the nipple, cap & fire into something Soft to catch the Obstruction.
2. They Make A CO2 cartridge adapter ejector that Replace the Nippile on a Side Lock Or Breach plug on an Inline MZ.
3. Use A Barrel Vise And The " Correct " Wrench To Remove the Breach End of the Barrel. And While The Barrel is in The Vise, Drive Out the Obstruction.
On Storing Long Guns Including " MZ's " This Came from A Master Gunsmith, Who Apprentice Under A Grand Master Gunsmith. After Cleaning Heavily Oil The Firearm ( Not Dripping ) Just a Heavy Sheen, Let it Sit for 30 -60 minutes. Then give it a Quick Wipe down with a Clean dry 100% cotton cloth. Then Store " Muzzle Down " this prevents oil from Soaking into the Wood.
In Regards to The Side Lock Mz, THE Day Your Going Out To Shoot. Pull your nipple and Blow out your snail & breach plug with compressed air, and Don't be stingy. And Before Loading your First Charg, fire A Percussion cap through your nipple, to dry it out. I Think That You'll be Much Happier with the Results.
Good advice, In my rifle, if I head out to shoot it I always fire a percussion cap through nipple. No more hang fires or plain not going off.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I went out this afternoon and set up near the deer highway where they always cross. Didn't see a thing of course, but better than being at work! May try a different spot tomorrow.

Master Bud II

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As Far As Powder Goes, Just Like In Cartridge Firearms, Certain Guns JUST Don't Like Certain Powders, & There's Nothing You Can Do About it. Black Powder Is A Funny Propellant. It's Fast and Slow, " ALL " At the Same Time. You Get A Sudden Sharp Pressure Spike @ The instant of ignition. That's What Upsets the Base of the bullet to seal the Bore & Engage the Rifling. But After That It Burns Relatively slowly. And the only mechanism to slightly change the burning rate is by changing the grain size of the black powder. As A General Rule B.P. Likes Heavier projectiles but depending on your twist rate that might not be an option. 1 in 66" twist ( conventional M.Z. ) Round Ball only. 1 in 48" R.B. & some conical and mini balls particularly the ones made by Thompson Center Contender. """ But """ No Sabos.
And Twist Rates "( Faster )" than 1 in 48" Don't Shoot Round Ball, You'll Strip the Ball in the Patch.
Before Taking your Firearm out for the day, Make Sure that you Dry Patch the barrel first.
P.S. A Product That I Really like Is Bore Butter, and it Will Season the barrel like an frying pan. And it comes in All Different Forms, from Just Lube, To pre treated Patches, Felt wads.
Hope This helps, Bud

Last edited:

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm currently using the blue version of Bore Butter and it seems to work really well. I think its high time that modern inlines got proofed for smokeless powder as a matter of course. Alot of them with magnum charges of subs are well into smokeless pressure already, like 35k psi. Yes, sidelocks should only use BP or subs, but its so strange how inline muzzleloaders have benefited from every possible innovation except for 1890's propellant technology. I would think that Trapdoor Springfield pressure limits with smokeless powder would be quite feasible, especially since the magnum inline charges are well past that.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
12:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm currently using the blue version of Bore Butter and it seems to work really well. I think its high time that modern inlines got proofed for smokeless powder as a matter of course. Alot of them with magnum charges of subs are well into smokeless pressure already, like 35k psi. Yes, sidelocks should only use BP or subs, but its so strange how inline muzzleloaders have benefited from every possible innovation except for 1890's propellant technology. I would think that Trapdoor Springfield pressure limits with smokeless powder would be quite feasible, especially since the magnum inline charges are well past that.

While I agree that would be nice, I am more of a traditional kind of guy. No inline muzzloaders for me. Iam also a smoke pole guy. Half the fun is the black powder, the smoke, and the smell that comes with it. I have muzzloaders simply for the traditional end of things, same reason I like long bows as well.

I will admit, there are times being able to use modern smokeless powder would be safer. Less chance of a fire.

Master Bud II

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This Is Kinda Beyond the Scope of this Thread,
" But " In Black Powder " Cartridge " Firearms. Depending on What Your doing ( Hunting, Competition, General Shooting ). Using a Priming Carge of Smokeless Pistol powder ( Particularly Unique, 800x & 5744 ) 10 - 15 % By " WEIGHT " Not Volume. Subtract the 10-15% of Volume of BP, or Substitute. The priming charge goes in First, Then The BP goes In Typically Through A Drop Tube, then an Over Powder Card is placed on top powder charge & Compressed, and Bullet set. Typically Best Results Come From Standard Large Pistol Primers, ( And ) .080 Flash Hole. BUT THEY CAN NEVER BE USED FOR STANDARD SMOKELESS POWDER LOADS AGAIN !!!!
also Anil the case mouths, No Need To Resize if used in the same Firearm, & Case's Will last Forever.
Hope This Helps Someone

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
While I agree that would be nice, I am more of a traditional kind of guy. No inline muzzloaders for me. Iam also a smoke pole guy. Half the fun is the black powder, the smoke, and the smell that comes with it. I have muzzloaders simply for the traditional end of things, same reason I like long bows as well.

I will admit, there are times being able to use modern smokeless powder would be safer. Less chance of a fire.

I totally agree with you. If I get a deer with my rifle or inline, I switch to my sidelock for the rest of the season. Planning to get a Kentucky long rifle at some point. Inlines are just front loading caseless center-fire rifles so may as well be able to use center-fire powder in them.