High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Need help purchasing a new pc

BigRed96

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Just as the title says I am looking to purchase a new laptop pc for my personal use. We typically buy computers from Dells website and I may continue doing that, but I thought I would ask for some opinions of those whom may be a bit smarter than me on the subject. We just purchased a nice 2 in 1 touchscreen for my Wife's business and I was looking to go that route. Both my children have Ipads and Chromebooks so this computer will be for me. I am looking to stay around $400 or less. I will primarily use the computer to sure the internet and use GO Pro studio to make and edit go pro videos. I have two computers I am looking at now but am open to other suggestions. Also if my budget is to low I may be able to step up to $500. Here is on I am looking at. And here is the other.

quietfly

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So my advice is less brand specific and more feature based. Try to find a PC with more RAM. 8gb is more preferable, 4 is barely enough to get Windows 10 running and not tripping on it self. For me the ram would be a must have. The next catagory would be an SSD hard drive. This is a nice to have, but will make the biggest difference in performance of your machine. SSD drives are faster than normal hard drives by a factor of 10. Don't worry that they are not as big. Get an external drive for your long term storage. Do all your editing on the local drive and once you are done save it to the external for good. When I get back my office I'll post some suggestions.
Good luck!!!

BigRed96

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So my advice is less brand specific and more feature based. Try to find a PC with more RAM. 8gb is more preferable, 4 is barely enough to get Windows 10 running and not tripping on it self. For me the ram would be a must have. The next catagory would be an SSD hard drive. This is a nice to have, but will make the biggest difference in performance of your machine. SSD drives are faster than normal hard drives by a factor of 10. Don't worry that they are not as big. Get an external drive for your long term storage. Do all your editing on the local drive and once you are done save it to the external for good. When I get back my office I'll post some suggestions.
Good luck!!!
I appreciate the information Quietfly!

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i bought my computer a elcheapo dell a few years ago for around 150 bucks but here or ebay is all i do

fordf150

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I second the SSD suggestion. Just switched from the old standard hard drive to a solid state a few months ago and what a difference it made. Used to take 3-4 minutes or better to be up and running in the morning, now it's almost instantly

KiwiBro (deleted)

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Some competing requirements. 14" screen isn't the best for video editing. Neither is the integrated graphics processor. I guess it comes down to which are the most important requirements and which are more flexible.

quietfly

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I will primarily use the computer to sure the internet and use GO Pro studio to make and edit go pro videos. I have two computers I am looking at now but am open to other suggestions.

is there a reason you are looking at laptop and 2 in 1's?
in general they loose performance at the expense of there portability. you can probably get better/more advanced hardware for the same price point if you went with a desktop. as noted by @KiwiBro Video editing performance is not going to be great with stock intergrated graphics chips.

BigRed96

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I want to be able to take it throughout the house as well as out in the shop from time to time. The 2 in 1 I want after using my wife's but could give that up if I could get a better performing laptop.

BigRed96

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I don't know a lot about computers Quietfly. When you say stock graphics chip. Would that be something I would possibly replace myself down the road if I was looking for better video performance?

quietfly

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't know a lot about computers Quietfly. When you say stock graphics chip. Would that be something I would possibly replace myself down the road if I was looking for better video performance?
Unfortunately not on most laptops or 2 in 1's . That's why you need to decide if it's going to be enough at the beginning, as unlike other things like storage it's decided from day one.

BigRed96

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If I wanted the best video cards what should I be looking at in the specs? Newegg lets me compare but I don't know what spec would make video better. Also I am more than likely just going to use it surf the internet and do video editing every now and again. Not constantly.

quietfly

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also I am more than likely just going to use it surf the internet and do video editing every now and again. Not constantly.
Unfortunately the two in ones that have better "Nvidia" chipsets are out of your price by alot in that format. Which means that the ram and SSD are probably going to be more important to you. Honestly if you are only going to do limited amounts of editing, you should be OK .

BigRed96

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Unfortunately the two in ones that have better "Nvidia" chipsets are out of your price by alot in that format. Which means that the ram and SSD are probably going to be more important to you. Honestly if you are only going to do limited amounts of editing, you should be OK .
Thanks Quietfly, I appreciate you helping me through my journey.

BigRed96

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Haven't pulled the trigger yet. Wife says I need to sell a couple of saws to come up with the cash.