Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
1:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Newer saws are a royal pain to work on...

I never work on saws, never tore one down. I want to learn. This saw was straight gassed by a friend who has a tree service. The shop quoted him $5-600 to repair. He said he was just going to buy a new one. I told him to let me try to fix it. Since I want to learn and he is a friend, I wouldn't charge him anything other than parts. A member sent me a good used cylinder for shipping. I bought new OEM piston kit, base gasket, fuel line, and fuel filter. I had to pay a shop to put one circlip in; they gouged me for $40 for 2 minutes of labor. I think I will have $180 in it.

And yes, it was a royal pain. I don't have the patience for it.

Thanks to Kevin (@huskihl) for helping me over the phone; and to Kenneth ( @WKEND LUMBERJAK ) for helping me verify the crank and crank bearings were not damaged (over the phone and with video).

WKEND LUMBERJAK

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never work on saws, never tore one down. I want to learn. This saw was straight gassed by a friend who has a tree service. The shop quoted him $5-600 to repair. He said he was just going to buy a new one. I told him to let me try to fix it. Since I want to learn and he is a friend, I wouldn't charge him anything other than parts. A member sent me a good used cylinder for shipping. I bought new OEM piston kit, base gasket, fuel line, and fuel filter. I had to pay a shop to put one circlip in; they gouged me for $40 for 2 minutes of labor. I think I will have $180 in it.

And yes, it was a royal pain. I don't have the patience for it.

Thanks to Kevin (@huskihl) for helping me over the phone; and to Kenneth ( @WKEND LUMBERJAK ) for helping me verify the crank and crank bearings were not damaged (over the phone and with video).

Stihl's will try your patience. they make some good saws but..... 40 dollars to put on a circlip :firedevil::firedevil::firedevil::firedevil:

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I honestly don’t think a ms 362 is that bad to work on. Never worked on an ms 441 but I hear people have choice words for those and the husky t540.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That was good stuff there, redlight. Good on ya for taking the time to post it all.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And 441's are way too involved, but not bad after you get into one..., provided you paid attention tearing it down. I currently have a box full o' parts that include both a standard C and an M that needs sorted out and both saws rebuilt. Should be an interesting exercise!

Last edited:

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got one of my 362s back together this weekend as well. I found it to be fairly straightforward. A little more over-engineered than a 562xp, but I notice that across the Stihl line. I do like that the m-tronic reset procedure can be done at home. It went well enough that I tore another one down last night.