High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

My walnut

Stihlin Time

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
This is a walnut that we just finished cutting down. Part of the tree was taking down last summer. Just wanted to share and see if anyone has any ideas where to start. New to chainsaw milling. Not even sure where to start. I'm thinking that it could be valuable to the right person if it is milled correctly. I'll post some pictures along with rough measurements and see if anyone has any good ideas. With all the different limbs and crotches I think it should have some pretty cool grain patterns.

first piece is 40" at the butt end with the block x 55" at the other end where it spit at the widest point x 6 foot long

Next piece is 27" at the butt end, has a limbs half way through the middle of log and then goes back down and is 9 foot long.

The I just have 2 logs that are cut at 8'4" that are about 16" and another one about the same diameter and is longer but will probably cut down to make 8 foot boards out of and just a few smaller odds and ends.

Just another look at the two bigger chunks. There is still some other pieces that I don't have pictures for, but they are smaller and not as big of diameter

Hopefully pictures turned out. still trying to figure out how to get them on here with out leaving attachments and big enough to be able to see them. Looking for any and all advice on what to do with them.

Fish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Not coming through. Try doing one by just clicking on "upload a file" and load it that way. You can leave it as a thumbnail, or else a full size pic, that can be enlarged further by clicking on it.

Stihlin Time

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
40 Inch end-

56 inch end-

9 foot long

I hope this works. I posted pictures the other day and it worked it just left the attachments down below. Guess should of just did it the way I did it the other day.

Attachments

• DSCN1197.JPG
    DSCN1197.JPG
    347 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCN1200.JPG
    DSCN1200.JPG
    356.1 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN1201.JPG
    DSCN1201.JPG
    419.5 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN1202.JPG
    DSCN1202.JPG
    262.9 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCN1203.JPG
    DSCN1203.JPG
    412.4 KB · Views: 16

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like some real nice stuff! A band mill would waste a lot less than a csm. I'd be searching for a local portable one. You're sittin' on quite a few dollars so it would definitely pay you back. Band is more precise too.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any progress on your walnut logs?

Stihlin Time

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Nothing yet. I did talk to a woodworking business about half hour away on Thursday. I may run the two big chunks down and see what he will give me for them, they way they are. I'm still not sure yet. told him I would call him back the first part of the week. I need/want to do something with them soon. we are just starting to get busy with the lawn care business. and it's not going to get any less busy for a good while. I did mill one of the 8 foot logs. trying out the new logosol mill. try and post some pics of that soon. I'm still open to suggestions. or What to expect if I do decide to take them to that wood working shop. Might just get a panther mill and try to mill them myself. I just don't want to screw them up. I'm still up in the air on what to do.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice. I'd get some old paint or similar on the ends to minimize splits. One of my apple wood stacks twisted and warped like crazy, so think about ways to keep them flat and straight.

Guido Salvage

Supreme saw hoeder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have never milled any wood specifically for woodworking, only for lumber. When making boards you typically want to minimize any imperfections in the wood and often cut out crotches when bucking the logs.

The short pieces would not fit on a typical circular mill carriage and would need to be long enough to span 2 head blocks so they could be dogged down.

My best friend had cut down a large black walnut on his farm, I loaded up the logs and brought him back about 400 bf of usable lumber.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Crotches yield some of the best figure!
p_WD306618.jpg

walnut+crotch.jpg

Not my pics ^^

Stihlin Time

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I can't believe I didn't get any paint. That's one of the first things you told me to do. I do have them flat along with some oak that I milled and the end did split on one of the walnut. they have not twisted at all but I have a good bit of weight on them. I'm going to take the 3 boards along if I do end up taking the big pieces down to the wood shop.
Does anyone know what the price to expect or would be " an ok deal" for the two big diameter logs?

Stihlin Time

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well, here is the update incase anyone is wondering how I made out or what I ended up doing. I took the logs down to a sawmill today. I talked to him for awhile about some different things and about maybe milling it my self. After he looked at them and took some measurements he gave me a price selling them the way they are. I'm happy with the end result, although I would of really liked to see what the inside of the log looked like. I know this is a milling forum and I didn't mill them, but thought I would let you know how I made out since it started out on here. I did take 3 of the boards down that I milled and he wasn't interested in them. I still think I made out good. Any thoughts? Came home with a check for alittle over 2 grand. I'm still not sure how the pay worked out in details, still learning about that stuff too. I understand about the two big logs and the board feet, just don't know how he figured the 3 smaller logs.DSCN1247.JPG

DSCN1248.JPG

DSCN1252.JPG

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would say you did very well. I paid 400 for roughly 80bf of 16/12 black walnut.
I see $5 /bf for walnut as well. Leaves room for the sawyer to profit, so I guess a fair deal. I've never sold logs so :icon_tfno: good on ya for paddin' the saw fund! :roto2gay: