My Drf255- ported 036 VIDEO

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can I make this one work or should I be shopping for something else? It doesn't seem too precise image.jpeg

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In the past I would just take them in to be sharpened however I would like to know more about it for my own well being. I haven't run into anyone local who is too helpful. My local Stihl dealers have to order RS or other "yellow" chain. They only keep "green" chain on the shelves.

The chains I get back don't look like anything the chain guys here post. Never realized how much of a saw's performance can be in the chain.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
4:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can I make this one work or should I be shopping for something else? It doesn't seem too precise View attachment 17290
That style allows a bit of both worlds. It keeps your round file at the correct height, but allows you to play with angles. I use stock angles mostly. Less top tooth angle will last longer. More angle cuts faster, but won't last as long.

Can't tell if your flat file is a raker file or not. A raker file is smooth on the sides.

Those raker setting tools work OK if you're happy with the settings they offer you. I tend to go more towards .030-.035 on rakers. It might be a bit much at first, but if I don't dog in, I'm good. If I hit some sand in a log, it'll still cut. Basically, I get a bit longer between sharpening, and more sharpenings between resetting raker heights. If you're bore cutting, you'll wanna stay closer to .020-.025 with full chisel. .035 is aggressive on full chisel. Perfect on semi. Try different settings a little at a time to see what works for you.
To each his own.

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That helps.

It's a raker, smooth on both sides.

Yeah, I'll play a little and see what seems to work. Atleast chains are cheap enough that if I really goof it up I'm not out much.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This one is from a few weeks ago with the only wood I had laying around. Same chain as the previous video but new.
I'd say that sounds healthy.

Neighbors hate you yet?

My neighbor has 3 dogs that bark all night. I turn and say to the missus, "WTF is with the dogs barking?"

She clearly states, "It's probably payback for the chainsaws."

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You gotta teach me some square filing Mike.

This saws maiden voyage was with a fresh loop of Oregon square.

It hit a maple tap. Now I'm not sure what shape to call the teeth, or what's left of them.

Shouldn't you be doing tax returns or something?

Jose A.S.T.S.

#DoingtheWork!!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Backtroller square filing practice brother lots of practice probably won't happen over night. For me it took a while but when you get it, it always puts a smile on my face well worth putting in the time and effort. Good luck!! Saw look sweet man!!

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd say that sounds healthy.

Neighbors hate you yet?

My neighbor has 3 dogs that bark all night. I turn and say to the missus, "WTF is with the dogs barking?"

She clearly states, "It's probably payback for the chainsaws."

I've been there with really bad neighbors. I try to be respectful and don't make too much noise for too long. I am really good to them with offering help. However they probably are wondering, "how many trees does this guy have to cut?"

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Al, every now & then I get a few minutes between returns. The next one is at 1:00.

I'll be happy to teach you sharpening square file when I come to cut down your big Oak.

When I see how this one runs, it makes me drool over how that 046-D cylinder is gonna run!

Only 15 more days!!!!!! Funny how you want the work to stop, but not the money!!!!

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Square file sounds awesome. I'd like to see it first hand though. Not sure how well I can pick it up from a video.

I still feel bad about your chain Al. I wish I had the skills to fix it for you.

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Al, every now & then I get a few minutes between returns. The next one is at 1:00.

I'll be happy to teach you sharpening square file when I come to cut down your big Oak.

When I see how this one runs, it makes me drool over how that 046-D cylinder is gonna run!

Only 15 more days!!!!!! Funny how you want the work to stop, but not the money!!!!
Mike I'm sure you will love what Al did to your cylinder. I consider this a beast and can only imagine the power of yours. I'd love to run a larger 046.