My Drf255- ported 036 VIDEO

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All assembled and ready to run for the first time. Al fitted her with some old plastic if there were any "problems" during the first start up. The original covers are really nice and I have to modify the cylinder cover to fit the 036 cylinder anyways image.jpeg image.jpeg

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
These are the factory covers. I have a regular, non winter cover too that's not pictured.

The second photo shows the difference between the two. The 036 is on the rightimage.jpeg image.jpeg

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was at the dealer getting a part for my blower and he had this newer style used cover that I bought from him. I love the "sleeper" look of the metal badge and hate to modify such a nice cover, but since I've modified the saw already I might just get out the Dremel. Decisions decisions image.jpeg

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I hear it runs very well,as always good clean work al. Impressive once again.

I got a pretty little 026 in the mail today,
Thanks al! You homo.

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So how does it run???? Well, Al told me that he'd kill me if I ever sold it and wanted first dibs if I ever did. I think he real did like it. Al did tune it and has it tuned fat to run 14,500. It is really impressive. Compression is high. We are thinking it is around 225+ right now, but I'll check later after a few tanks. All I can tell you is that it is more difficult to pull than the Makita/Dolmar 7910 I just assembled.

Sadly I don't have any wood to cut right now here at my house, but I did run it today. It started on the third pull (having been drained and stuck in a mail truck for 5 days), idles great without any hint of dying or chain spin, and has a really responsive throttle. She totally is snappy when you blip the throttle. Al will have to chime in with his run time on this saw. I'm going to find a decent log and attempt a video for this saw. I'm blown away with the performance of this saw. He built a very strong saw and totally exceeded my expectations in every way. Thanks again Al!

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
6:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Can you cut a maple tree in Ontario and not hit a maple tap? It is the second most popular drink after Labatt's isn't it?

What's funnier is that at Al's house on "Wrong Island" NY, all the Maple trees were "tapped" (and that's where the vid was shot..)

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've cut a "bit" of sugar maple. Honestly I've never hit a tap but I have found a lot of nails and staples.
As for the second most popular drink IDK Tim hortons coffee is ranked pretty high up on that list

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Here is a long overdue video of the 036 Al @drf255 ported for me. The saw rocks! It doesn't know its a 60cc saw. This is one that will not be sold. I finally took some video after cutting 8 cookies of fresh Ash so it's not a fresh chain. It's wearing a 20" ES bar and Oregon LGX. It is still breaking in and shows 0.9 hrs on my tach. I have seen 14990 on the tach. It runs awesome, starts on the third or fourth pull cold and with an empty tank and always one pull hot. It will idle all day long. I need a real chain though and I might need to bother a pro here to make me a chain worthy of his work.

Wish I had a decent compression tester. You have to be committed to pull it. It by far takes more of an effort than my new 7910 (without using the de-comp on the 80cc). I'll get a reading shortly when I can borrow a buddy's, but I am sure it is north of 200.

Jughead

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Here is a long overdue video of the 036 Al @drf255 ported for me. The saw rocks! It doesn't know its a 60cc saw. This is one that will not be sold. I finally took some video after cutting 8 cookies of fresh Ash so it's not a fresh chain. It's wearing a 20" ES bar and Oregon LGX. It is still breaking in and shows 0.9 hrs on my tach. I have seen 14990 on the tach. It runs awesome, starts on the third or fourth pull cold and with an empty tank and always one pull hot. It will idle all day long. I need a real chain though and I might need to bother a pro here to make me a chain worthy of his work.

Wish I had a decent compression tester. You have to be committed to pull it. It by far takes more of an effort than my new 7910 (without using the de-comp on the 80cc). I'll get a reading shortly when I can borrow a buddy's, but I am sure it is north of 200.
dayum!