Muffler heat shield questions

Mark71gtx

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have worked on many saws that did not come with heat deflector shields between the cylinder and muffler. I have worked on several that did. How big if a deal is it if a saw that came with one didn't get one put back on it during a rebuild? I get "box saws" from time to time and I am noticing sometimes the models that are supposed to have a heat shield have that particular part missing in the box it came here in. Should I order the shields for them, or not worry about it? I don't want to ask the guys bringing them in what they want since what they have already done to the poor saw usually tells me they shouldn't be asked for any saw advice...

Guido Salvage

Supreme saw hoeder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Earl Muntz would say it was not needed... (young fellows may need to Google his name).

jk14

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I believe that they are more important for channeling the cooling air from the flywheel to the PTO side of the cylinder.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
7:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Heat shields are a good thing, for the reasons posted above. I've put 'em on older saws that did not have them when made, but were updated at a later time of production. That is, if the saw is still going to see good use.