MS360 build

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
2:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
20161217_210658.jpg
I'm going to start off by video recording this thing while still bone stock for a before and after. It'll wear a 25" full comp/chisel set up. But it's not exactly going to just be a before and after video of the build. I'm going to record a few cuts after each step during the progress of the build.
My question for starters is which of these three mods that will be performed do you all want to see for the first step?
My first three options are timing bump, muffler mod, or carb mod.
I'll cast my vote for muffler mod since it's already noticeably restricted there.
20161220_032102.jpg

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
5:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 45625
I'm going to start off by video recording this thing while still bone stock for a before and after. It'll wear a 25" full comp/chisel set up. But it's not exactly going to just be a before and after video of the build. I'm going to record a few cuts after each step during the progress of the build.
My question for starters is which of these three mods that will be performed do you all want to see for the first step?
I'll cast my vote for muffler mod since it's already noticeably restricted there.
View attachment 45630

I am with you on the muffler mod Jim, I personally don't think that either of the other mods will net you a significant gain until you can get the spent gasses out effeciently.

Joe

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
smiley-face-popcorn.gif

wcorey

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think base gasket delete should be in the running here too and it's also reversible.

Been threatening to do this sort of thing with a large amount of 350's I have, most are already modded to some degree.

The problem I always face when trying to decide the order of things is what if one isn't particularly useful without one or two of the others being implemented with it. With 4 options then there's 16 combinations to try with only pairing them, never mind combo's of three or more. Starts to seem like a very daunting task...

That said, muffler mod seems the most obvious.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
View attachment 45625
View attachment 45630
Im likely to be on my own here Jim ...But... None of the above !!
Thats a near enough new saw out of the factory and its not a common thing with a MS 360 pro .

danimal

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
1) Muff Mod
2) Steel Mesh air filter
3) Timing Advance
4) Base Gasket Delete
5) Carb Mod

My 2 cents!
As to the carb mod, can you take time to explain?
Mine seems to get plenty of air N fuel... If you can keep the darn filter clean..

Last edited:

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not my idea, but he had it listed, and I know the Doc did it to my 026.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They run and sound good with a dual port.

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
MM first, I ported mine, base gasket delete netted .17 squish. Screamer w/18" bar N 3/8's chisel..
Smallest saw I own. Never dun the other 2 in yer poll.

Is that saw in the pic NOS?
Or just a shelf Queen?
All original with less than one tank of fuel worth of run time.

Im likely to be on my own here Jim ...But... None of the above !!
Thats a near enough new saw out of the factory and its not a common thing with a MS 360 pro .
I feel ya there. I've put a lot of thought into this saw over the last couple years. The way I look at it is the epa took over and de-tuned it. I'm basically re-tuning it. It'll still be all factory original. I'm not putting a mesh filter on it because the Fir bark and Madrone dust over here will eat saws up in a hurry if you run em that way.

As to the carb mod, can you take time to explain?
Mine seems to get plenty of air N fuel... If you can keep the darn filter clean..
The epa also forces restrictions on the fuel flow in the carbs. Buy the plan is to allow a bit more regardless. I won't be boring the barrel out or anything crazy. In fact one would likely never know it was modded if it were inspected.

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Muffler mod vs. Timing bump seem to be pretty close. I suppose I'll do the timing bump for a run then bring it back and then do a muffler modded run. Then they can each be viewed as the first step.
I didn't include the gasket delete in the first three steps because I wanted to avoid pulling the jug if I don't need to. I have a feeling that this one will be a very strong runner before I get that far.

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Gasket delete really makes sum added compression that is needed in my o pin ion.

Only stihl I still own, it's rockstar status in my books. My girl puts on da shades when da 360 comes out.
She wants to B as cool as da saw....View attachment 45692
Oh it's gonna happen. Just not quite yet though. I'm assuming that boosting the comp will add what it adds regardless of what else is modded, so I planned on just waiting until I'm ready to pop the jug to do that.