Milling chain

Brian72

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Get yourself a wand metal detector from harbor freight. About $40. They work very well. Saved us many saw teeth at my buddy's circle mill.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Brian72

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I guess it varies by density, but how deep do you think it scans?
We've done some pretty big stuff. To be conservative, I'd say 6 to 8 inches deep, possibility even better. We go around the whole log. Even if you don't know the exact depth, it still lets you pinpoint the location of the metal and work around it or dig it out. He keeps a nice stash of tools for such purposes. Hatchet, chisels, nail pullers, vise grips etc. Butt logs are certainly the most problems. Many times, we'll scan it multiple times during milling just to be safe.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We've done some pretty big stuff. To be conservative, I'd say 6 to 8 inches deep, possibility even better. We go around the whole log. Even if you don't know the exact depth, it still lets you pinpoint the location of the metal and work around it or dig it out. He keeps a nice stash of tools for such purposes. Hatchet, chisels, nail pullers, vise grips etc. Butt logs are certainly the most problems. Many times, we'll scan it multiple times during milling just to be safe.
I'll definitely look into getting one. Thanks.

Brian72

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Certainly much easier to dig a little than to destroy the chain. I've learned a lot from helping and watching him. Many times, if we find a bad section, we'll just cut it out and just work with what's left. Chains and teeth are just too expensive.

Brian72

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We try to be thorough finding metal but every now and then, something slips by. One log had some lag screws about 10 feet up. Not common to find junk that high up. Wiped out all the teeth on the saw!

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had the same thing happen to me about 15 years ago. I was cutting a big oak tree and was well into the cut them all of a sudden it was like I was cutting with a chain with only rakers. I pulled out and I was not happy. New bar and chain needed. [emoji52]
I found the one and only eye bolt in the whole tree, and I hit it square going lengthwise. If only I could be that lucky with lottery. [emoji848]

Wagnerwerks

I have yet to "suffer" from CAD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to me about 15 years ago. I was cutting a big oak tree and was well into the cut them all of a sudden it was like I was cutting with a chain with only rakers. I pulled out and I was not happy. New bar and chain needed. [emoji52]
I found the one and only eye bolt in the whole tree, and I hit it square going lengthwise. If only I could be that lucky with lottery. [emoji848]
Think how many you probably missed.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lol. Yup. I know that I definitely missed a few over the years, but I always remember that 3/4 eye bolt vividly. Lol
My sharp chain did a real nice job making a nice square groove the the eye bolt by the way.

Wagnerwerks

I have yet to "suffer" from CAD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Lol. Yup. I know that I definitely missed a few over the years, but I always remember that 3/4 eye bolt vividly. Lol
My sharp chain did a real nice job making a nice square groove the the eye bolt by the way.
My buddy sawed a horseshoe in half longways with his band mill.