heritageguy20051

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's one of my favorite threads. Lol
Mine too! Lol. Not like I need another project but his thread sure makes me want to try it. On the bright side, buying and refurbishing older stuff sure is much cheaper! I used to hate going into antique shops with my girlfriend. Now the tables have turned! I bust through the doors like a junkie looking for a fix!

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mine too! Lol. Not like I need another project but his thread sure makes me want to try it. On the bright side, buying and refurbishing older stuff sure is much cheaper! I used to hate going into antique shops with my girlfriend. Now the tables have turned! I bust through the doors like a junkie looking for a fix!

At least I’m not the only one...lol! My wife enjoys going too of course. And she doesn’t try to beat me to finding draw shaves to use as decoration

heritageguy20051

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
At least I’m not the only one...lol! My wife enjoys going too of course. And she doesn’t try to beat me to finding draw shaves to use as decoration
Kinda funny. Her creativity and my stupidity combine for some very healthy quality time together. If only she would be drawn to vintage clothing. I'd never have to go to the #!!#*¡ mall again!

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Kinda funny. Her creativity and my stupidity combine for some very healthy quality time together. If only she would be drawn to vintage clothing. I'd never have to go to the #!!#*¡ mall again!

That right there is funny:risas3:

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What angle are you square filing at? I’m wondering about the square, vs full chisel vs ripping chain debate as well. I do a have an FG2 that has yielded great results for my full chisel.
25° top plate is what I use. A little more down angle than my cross cut chains for durability. Can saw about 20 bd feet before a touch up. Takes me maybe 10 minutes to hit each tooth twice.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
25° top plate is what I use. A little more down angle than my cross cut chains for durability. Can saw about 20 bd feet before a touch up. Takes me maybe 10 minutes to hit each tooth twice.
So in your experimenting did you find square filed chain to last longer before needing a touch up? Your chain filing skills are in a whole other stratosphere compared to mine. It’s gonna take me a while to tune my chains in once I start.

Last edited:

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So in your experimenting did you find square filed chain to last longer before needing a touch up? Your chain filing skills are in a while other stratosphere compared to mine. It’s gonna take me a while to tune my chains in once I start.
Semi chisel lasts longer. It was 30-40% slower. You get 2-3 cuts with square and 4 or 5 maybe with semi. When I testedit there was 2.5 minute difference in the log I was using to test

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Semi chisel lasts longer. It was 30-40% slower. You get 2-3 cuts with square and 4 or 5 maybe with semi. When I testedit there was 2.5 minute difference in the log I was using to test
Copy thanks. Sounds like a bit of a wash, faster cuts with more frequent sharpening or slower cuts with less sharpening. I bet the faster cutting chain required less work on you to push it through.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Copy thanks. Sounds like a bit of a wash, faster cuts with more frequent sharpening or slower cuts with less sharpening. I bet the faster cutting chain required less work on you to push it through.
it is. For sure on the square easier.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What angle are you square filing at? I’m wondering about the square, vs full chisel vs ripping chain debate as well. I do a have an FG2 that has yielded great results for my full chisel.
I defer angel recommendations to Mike. :bandit: It was his recommendation and advice that steered me in that direction. And I've milled a bunch with the square so it's with experience that I say it works well.
The only pita is the double bevel with the granberg mounted.

Attachments

• DSC01393.JPG
    DSC01393.JPG
    369.8 KB · Views: 30

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow.
How us semi chisel different from round chisel?

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are there any photos of it? Or am I just missing the obvious?

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you sir. I learned something new already today. [emoji2]

Now I gotta go and check some chains I bought to see whether I bought round chisel or semi-chisel. I am hoping they are all semi-chisel.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Semi is all I run cutting real nasty firewood logs, sometimes I run chisel and it lasts pretty good and other times I hate life and wished I had semi. It definately is slower than chisel but I find semi can be filed to run pretty good for what it is. Different chain for different uses.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pretty much all I run is full chisel, but I do have some semi chisel chain. I like the square edges. I will retry my semi chisel chains.
I do not have any if that round chisel chain.
I will try and bring my semi chisel next gtg and we can run our saws again. [emoji106]

Last edited: