Milling Basics

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
3:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You may have to lower the rakers more than normal chain to feed good. I like the mill to feed itself with me just holding the trigger and maybe a hand on the mill to keep it from vibrating as bad.

heritageguy20051

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I too am looking to start milling with a 394 coming my way. Is that mk IV Alaskan setup @heritageguy20051 ?
Yes it is. Granberg 48". I'm very happy with it. I mainly do live edge slabs so I ordered the bigger mill from the start. Also, if I need to go bigger later, I can just order longer rails and tube.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

heritageguy20051

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You may have to lower the rakers more than normal chain to feed good. I like the mill to feed itself with me just holding the trigger and maybe a hand on the mill to keep it from vibrating as bad.
Good info. I need to work on a better setup to mill downhill. Let gravity do more work and me less.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have an area set aside for the planks and lots of stickers. It’s easy to go ape chit milling but if not stored correctly to dry, you end up with a mess. I use a 2x6 or 8 for a first cut guide on smaller stuff and the aluminum ladder for bigger logs. Another thing to consider is a respirator. Heard of some guys using leaf blowers to help with fines and it works great, just a hassle to lug more stuff around. I listened to Mikes advice and use square filed full chisel full skip. Works great.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For me, this is just a hobby so I keep it simple. Lots of great info available in these forums. We all tend to over-think sometimes. A good mill, strong saw and sharp chain will get you going in no time.

Milling will be for my own little projects. At the moment I’m into making ax handles so I want to mill slabs so they can dry. I’m sure once I get going more uses will arise for slabs that I produce. Nothing like being self sufficient, great feeling.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is anyone using the HLSupply mill? Or is the latest Granberg IV worth spending a little more?

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is anyone using the HLSupply mill? Or is the latest Granberg IV worth spending a little more?
I’ve heard the HLSupply mill works pretty well. I’m still undecided on which one I’m going to buy too. I was going to make my own but the relatively low cost of purchasing makes it a no brainer for me

Husky187

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have an area set aside for the planks and lots of stickers. It’s easy to go ape chit milling but if not stored correctly to dry, you end up with a mess. I use a 2x6 or 8 for a first cut guide on smaller stuff and the aluminum ladder for bigger logs. Another thing to consider is a respirator. Heard of some guys using leaf blowers to help with fines and it works great, just a hassle to lug more stuff around. I listened to Mikes advice and use square filed full chisel full skip. Works great.

What angle are you square filing at? I’m wondering about the square, vs full chisel vs ripping chain debate as well. I do a have an FG2 that has yielded great results for my full chisel.

heritageguy20051

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm happy with the quality of the Granberg. Good build, good material, nice scale etched into the arms for adjusting depth. Don't know anything about the other brand.

heritageguy20051

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Milling will be for my own little projects. At the moment I’m into making ax handles so I want to mill slabs so they can dry. I’m sure once I get going more uses will arise for slabs that I produce. Nothing like being self sufficient, great feeling.
I know. I've been following your handle thread. Very nice and informative! That'll give you good milling practice. Your posts made me want to go buy some axes and give it a whirl! Looking forward to more of your projects.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know. I've been following your handle thread. Very nice and informative! That'll give you good milling practice. Your posts made me want to go buy some axes and give it a whirl! Looking forward to more of your projects.

Glad you’re enjoying the handle stuff. I forgot you had posted in there a few times. Go get an antique ax and try it! I’d love to see someone else’s technique for making them.

heritageguy20051

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Glad you’re enjoying the handle stuff. I forgot you had posted in there a few times. Go get an antique ax and try it! I’d love to see someone else’s technique for making them.
I'd love to. I'll be looking to find one and give it a shot. You did a great job explaining the whole process and great pics too. Makes it very easy to follow.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
LOL. You got Hooskie axes?
Too funny.
I got a Hooskie saw. Lol