GoBigBlue1984

Bluegrass Fart Knocker...
GoldMember
Local time
5:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, so I wasn't sure if I was gonna have time to get this saw done in time. But lo and behold I got to it in the eleventh hour. Not sure if I will get it together and runing before tomorrow (Saturday) but in case I do, I better make a thread.

I had originally intended using the farmertec jug but opted instead for the cross. After some brainstorming I opted for a 288 piston. So MMWS cylinder and 288 Piston.

Jug looked ok. Exhaust roof was flattish.
IMG_0248.JPG

Band looked good. Transfers were large and needed a little flash cleaned up but overall I was happy and it will work.
IMG_0249.JPG

The reason I went with the 288 piston was mainly for fingers and it allows me to really widen the exhaust. Pictures to follow.

First up we gotta degree this sucker.
IMG_0261.JPG

Not So Fast!!!!!!!

Clearance issues presented themselves as well as some excessive lateral movement between the bosses. Let's fix both these issues shall we?IMG_0258.JPG
Clearanced the skirts

IMG_0257.JPG

Made a couple spacers to allow the con rod to locate.

GoBigBlue1984

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Back to the timing. With a gasket, squish was way too tight. .065 ;).

My degree wheel tells me I'm at 100/116/80. With squish so high I opt for a base cut only. I'll remove .048
IMG_0262.JPG

This put me at 102/120/83. If I had started this build sooner I would have epoxied the intake but I'll run it as is for now. I can live with 83.

I wanted my fingers to open 2-4 degrees ahead of my mains.
IMG_0270.JPG

Widened the exhaust port and beveled the roof and the floor. I'm ok with the flat-ish roof with a good bevel. Didn't touch the intake except to smooth the edges.
IMG_0271.JPG

GoBigBlue1984

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This thing is alive and well. Talked to the logger today and he's only cut with it one day. It's been wet lately here. But he said it certainly had power. I should've taken some video beforehand. It's all AM except for the piston and clutch drum. If the worm gear burns up I'll get it back for a bit and get video for sure.

t4driller

Daddy Day Care
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
This thing is alive and well. Talked to the logger today and he's only cut with it one day. It's been wet lately here. But he said it certainly had power. I should've taken some video beforehand. It's all AM except for the piston and clutch drum. If the worm gear burns up I'll get it back for a bit and get video for sure.
Right on. Glad it's doing well. With all the trouble with bottom ends in these things I figured yours would be a good test since it's eith a logger. A guy is interested in buying mine and 8m worried it'll grenade now. He's not a logger so it's not gonna see a ton of use.