Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
11:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was thinking about your comment about drilling the transition chamber welch plug. Sounds like a good idea for testing.

You can put a dab of GB Weld on the brass jet and then start drilling the welch plug. Eventually you will go too big in your testing. No biggie, put a dab of GB Weld on the welch plug hole and then drill out the brass jet to the size you want.

If you don't have some washers to shim up the metering spring, it might be a good time to order some. You can get a bag of them cheap and you can use them on every carb that you want to mod. You just drop one, two, whatever into the metering spring well and then put the spring on top of them. It increases the pre-load on the lever, like having a longer spring.

The spring RATE is the pitch of the spring and the thickness of the wire. The spring rate and the size of the metering orifice will determine the angle/steepness of the ramping in of the low speed circuit. The pre-load of the spring will determine when the metering valve starts to lift and the ramp begins.

If the metering spring rate is in the ballpark, the cheap washers should be all you need to tune the throttle response.

Thanks for all the lessons sir. :)

Now I need to process for a little while.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The wife won't let me out of the house until I heal, so I can't get to the shed.

Check the size of the metering well. I think it is 3mm - in which case get a bag of 2.5mm washers. They are available in bags of 50 - that will mod a lot of carbs.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Randy, have you (or anyone else) thought about putting on a small live porting clinic for those who'd like to learn as a demonstration at your GTG? I'd gladly donate a 550xp and thee funds onsite if so.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Randy, have you (or anyone else) thought about putting on a small live porting clinic for those who'd like to learn as a demonstration at your GTG? I'd gladly donate a 550xp and thee funds onsite if so.

There's no time for that. I spend a full day on every saw I do.......sometimes more. I can have some ported jugs handy for folks to look at though.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Also.......I just wanna get away from working on saws and have fun with you fellers......

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mr. Evans, sir, When are you running those 60cc saws against each other? I can not take the suspense!

Dear sir.......

I'm grinding the heck out of a 357......even adding some extra pee. I'd like to see it done so I can run them all in the same wood. Also, see that carb it the bag? That's the carb from the 6100. But that's no biggie......

View of my bench right now......

IMG_3732.JPG

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dear sir.......

I'm grinding the heck out of a 357......even adding some extra pee. I'd like to see it done so I can run them all in the same wood. Also, see that carb it the bag? That's the carb from the 6100. But that's no biggie......

View of my bench right now......

View attachment 33035
That is a lot of crumbs. I will take two steps back and wait. I thought you forgot about us.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is a lot of crumbs. I will take two steps back and wait. I thought you forgot about us.

No sir. I ain't forgot. The 562 is done........but the 6100 is minus a carb, and the 357 ain't done.

I'm gonna take the rest of the day off and go eat some Chinese food too. :)