Makita easy-pull and also cold weather baffle

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a Makita EA4300 that I really like. It has a feature called Easy Start, which they describe as "spring assisted starter with optimized engine management reduces force required for starting." It's pretty cool, if you don't yank on the rope hard like you do with other saws but kind of gently pull it into starting position and then gently pull from that spot and let Easy Start do its thing, it spins well and cranks. I am wondering if other Makita saws have this feature, including larger saws like 64xx, 79xx.

This saw also has a cold weather adjustment... "Slide-out baffle can be configured for efficient cold weather operation." Question here is what temperature range would one need to be concerned with this? Our winters do not have much freezing weather. Curious if the use of that baffle is for below freezing or sub-zero or just what.

Congrats to Makita (Dolmar?) on a good saw. (Mine is actually the Makita teal blue, not orange; I wanted Makita blue and ordered it from England, lol. I think there are minor differences other than color.)

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
1:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
These feature easy start, some as a sole version, some as an option: EA5000/PS-5105 , EA5600/PS-550 , EA6100/PS-6100

The large frame models do not have easy start, those include the 64xx/73xx/79xx and the 9010.

I have ran my saws at sub zero temperatures, -10 to -15℃, I have not opened the baffle to winter position and the saws ran great without freezing the carb.

Other than the smurf colored cases and covers the Makita saws are identical to their Dolmar counterparts.
I'd dare say all Makita petrol saws are either Dolmar or Maruyama made.

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the info. As for saws being the same except for color, my saw does not have captive bar cover nuts but I was thinking that the USA Makita red saw does. But I was not able to confirm that with a google search.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As far as I can see from numerous IPL's the EA4300/PS-420 does not feature captive bar nuts.

Dolmar PS-420 IPL 2011-04.JPG Dolmar PS-420 IPL 2019-04.JPG

Makita EA4300 IPL 2012-01.JPG Makita EA4300 IPL 2013-02.JPG

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
5:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMO running the saw in below freezing temps without using the cold weather shutter ‘could’ lead to excessive carbon buildup.
Husky cold weather covers and shutters are suggested to be used in -5 C or colder.
Husky doesnt say why, but after reading into this a while back the general consensus is to have the engine at operating temp and not being super cooled.

point being its a good idea to use it when the temps fall into the manufacturers instructions.

Before i read into this (last winter) i never used the shutters or covers. Gonna try to start using them this winter

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Without a retune of the carb the saw will run leaner at sub-zero temperatures anyways, I dare say super cooling shouldn't be an issue.

But hey, that's just me - I run one carb tune year round and my saws run best the colder it gets.

Not having utilized the summer/winter shutter till now, have You noticed excessive carbon build up?!
I didn't and don't. ;)

Ronaldo

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I cut all winter long (prefer the cooler temps) and I change the shutters on my saws when it gets down around 20 degrees F. I cant say I've noticed any difference in how they run , carbon buildup or anything else. BUT, its easy to do and keeps the saw in a more optimal operating temperature so I do it. Just remember to change em back when it gets warmer!!!