High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Make your own ethanol free fuel

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
8:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
not smart when ethanol is removed from gasoline it LOWERS the octane rating.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
the fuel is not the problem improper handling and storage conditions will turn the fuel sour then it causes problems.
ethanol gasoline has been around since the 80's and i have been using it exclusively for years with out issue keep it fresh and what ever you don't use dump it in the car.

Scott0154

Feral member
Local time
6:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
The biggest problem I have with it is what it does to my carburetors on my 4 stroke toys. During the summer if I cut my lawn on Sunday and don't drain the bowl when I'm done, the jets will be completely plugged up with green sludge by next Sunday. If I run true fuel or VP I don't have this problem, but you know the price of that stuff. Maybe storage is a problem and the better solution would be to burn two gallons of diesel every weekend to buy 1/2 gal. Of fresh (90 percent gas/10 percent crap I don't want) fuel. I'm not telling everyone they need to do this, I just read it and thought it was an option for the guys who have the same problems I'm having.;)

bmwpowere36m3

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I don't have those problems either... sometimes having E10 sitting a month or two. Over the winter a little marine stabil to the fuel. Never had problems in 15 yrs.

Scott0154

Feral member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I do live in California. Maybe there putting something else in the gas that's causing this.

Scott0154

Feral member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Methanol^ Are you guys just the lucky ones? What kind of container do you store it in to keep it from going bad? Why do manufacturers recommend ethanol free fuel? I know I'm not the only person who has issues with the fuel, especially where I live.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
ethanol, Methanol, alcohol, all the same *s-word. most all of the fuel additives you guys are putting in your gas is the same *s-word. just buy good gas in the first place
That's what I was thinking.
Buy e10 then remove the ethanol and buy octane booster so you can put it back in.
Am I missing something?

Armbru84

Just trying to get by
Local time
9:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Buy e10 then remove the ethanol and buy octane booster so you can put it back in.
Am I missing something?

Just need to be consistent and use the same source for fuel and your mixture.

Scott0154

Feral member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Am I missing something?
Sorry guys, let me start over please. I have problems with e10 fuel messing up my carbs and have had multiple repair shops tell me they see the same problems from the fuel every day. Out here in California we don't have the ethanol free gas stations that some of the other states have so while I was searching for a good price on VP/true fuel etc. I stumbled across this article and thought based on the other anti e10 threads I would share it with anyone on here that might find it useful. From what I was told the ethanol itself is not so much the problem on newer equipment but the water it attracts settles at the bottom of the bowl and thats what causes the corrosion.

cgraham1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry guys, let me start over please. I have problems with e10 fuel messing up my carbs and have had multiple repair shops tell me they see the same problems from the fuel every day. Out here in California we don't have the ethanol free gas stations that some of the other states have so while I was searching for a good price on VP/true fuel etc. I stumbled across this article and thought based on the other anti e10 threads I would share it with anyone on here that might find it useful. From what I was told the ethanol itself is not so much the problem on newer equipment but the water it attracts settles at the bottom of the bowl and thats what causes the corrosion.
I live in California, and while the stations don't have 'ethanol free' pumps, there is a local bulk plant that keeps a couple of 55 gallon drums of e-free 93 oct. on hand... while it is more expensive, I believe that the extra cost is worth it. I run Belray H1-R, mixed at 40:1.

How much is the canned fuel?

p61 western

Ol Mudflap
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I live in California, and while the stations don't have 'ethanol free' pumps, there is a local bulk plant that keeps a couple of 55 gallon drums of e-free 93 oct. on hand... while it is more expensive, I believe that the extra cost is worth it. I run Belray H1-R, mixed at 40:1.

How much is the canned fuel?
Where is this local bulk plant, if it's not to far away I would like to buy some.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I mostly run efree but haven't ever had any problems with e10