Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
8:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The only hard/sugar maple I ever cut was at Kevin's GTG. That stuff was awful; worst wood I have ever cut; I think I would rather split elm than cut sugar maple. We get a lot of silver maple here; totally different.

Is it horrible to mill too?

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
7:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The only hard/sugar maple I ever cut was at Kevin's GTG. That stuff was awful; worst wood I have ever cut; I think I would rather split elm than cut sugar maple. We get a lot of silver maple here; totally different.

Is it horrible to mill too?

Sugar Maple makes excellent furniture grade lumber but it’s pretty tough to build with. I framed my Dad’s workshop in Sugar Maple. I probably bent 1 out of 3 nails I drove. We milled all that and it wasn’t too difficult to cut with a BSM. When I visit my dad he heckles me about all the bent nails and broken screws in his shop.

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I build 7 horse stalls with maple... milled. Chainsaw milled. It was like one of those "parent" stories where they went to school... in the snow...uphill both ways.

Had one of my kids with a rope on the dead end of the saw :)

BUT the funny part was we had a horse that was a cribber (chews everything wood ) .... UNTIL the hard maple stalls. Days of bloody teeth followed and then he stopped. :)

Last edited: