davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast, 288 collector
GoldMember
Local time
9:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are quite a few spikes out there...hard to tell differences or dimensions without seeing on saw. I'm just being dumb and picky, but I do think for the hard wood I do, short, sharp spikes down by the bar are good and the tall top is a nice knuckle saver...like the Dolmar crescent. I added a big upper spike to my stock 2159 dogs at lunch today, maybe get to test this weekend.

I wonder why most stock spikes have a weird little round nub at the top.

Quote from @mdavlee on old thread on AS.

"I like the pro safety better for the taller and longer top spike. It keeps the muffler and chain brake handle farther off the wood when bucking. The 5 point are a little too big unless you're in big root flares."

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, gimme back my beer. In order from 1st to last, sitting on the saw, the length difference between oem big dawgs and the Pro Safety, (roughly) straightedge down from the flag w/brake disengaged, straightedge w/brake engaged, and the outer edge of the straightedge lined up with the top and bottom points on the oem big dawg. If you want to do this yourself, drag the image to your desktop and print it out at 155% scale, that'll be "life-sized". DISCLAIMER: The saw shown is a 365 Special, not a 2165, so flag angles may be different. I do have a buddy that has a 2165 (or 2065) so I could get those pics but I figure the "print out at 155%" bit will allow people to do their own testing.
IMG_7670.jpeg IMG_7671.jpeg IMG_7672.jpeg IMG_7673.jpeg IMG_7674.jpeg

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just fyi, from the outside (bar-side) edge of the forward bar stud hole to the furthest dog tip on the Pro Safety dogs is 3.75 inches, roughly.

davidwyby

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those are definitely longer and would help...I could shorten the lower spikes. However, I think having the uppermost spike higher as the Dolmar helps with the knucklebucking more...I saw a post somewhere where someone mentioned they make dawgs out of old circular saw blades. I have a pile of them to experiment with, ha!

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those are definitely longer and would help...I could shorten the lower spikes. However, I think having the uppermost spike higher as the Dolmar helps with the knucklebucking more...I saw a post somewhere where someone mentioned they make dawgs out of old circular saw blades. I have a pile of them to experiment with, ha!
Just remember, 372 outer dogs are offset, not flat like the 2-series ones....

davidwyby

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just remember, 372 outer dogs are offset, not flat like the 2-series ones....

Good point. Bending brittle saw blades would be a good trick, would have to heat. I may only do the inner, at least for experimentation. Probably actually need the inverse of a saw blade...spikes on the inside of the crescent, not outside.

Master Bud II

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Whenever possible I Prefer to Underbuck, Particularly On My 262xp & on smaller Stuff , The Chain Speed is So High and All that Dabree Hurts after a while. I've been playing with Husky 181 dogs Flipped upside down and it Seems Almost perfect ( the 3 point Crescent ) one's I Had The Holes welded up so I Could grind them To Fit. The Solo Big saws Also are Well designed, and they Drop on the 288xp and Work Well. There dogs are two pieces welded Together, so You could design a Dog you like and Weld them to Factory dogs Till you Get What you want, Then send them off to be Replacated.
P.S. are the Factory Dogs on the 3120 Overly Thin and Flimsy ???