ErnieG

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
10:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I recently finished my rebuild on my 2186 and im happy with how it turned out but I have a question about tunning .
Saw has a tillotson carb on it with a limiter on the high side adjustment and not on the low side . I did a rebuild on the carb also so I'm fairly certain it's clean .
When I turn the low adjustment to get more RPM the saw bogs out before I can get the chain to just creep.
The high adjustment doesn't really make any difference in rpms at all ...if I hold it WOT and turn it either way it doesn't make any differences ...granit it doesn't move very much with the limiter on it .
The saw has good throttle response and 4 strokes outta the cut ..I'm just a bit puzzled with the adjustments .
Maybe there isn't anything to be worried about?
Thanks
Ernie

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I recently finished my rebuild on my 2186 and im happy with how it turned out but I have a question about tunning .
Saw has a tillotson carb on it with a limiter on the high side adjustment and not on the low side . I did a rebuild on the carb also so I'm fairly certain it's clean .
When I turn the low adjustment to get more RPM the saw bogs out before I can get the chain to just creep.
The high adjustment doesn't really make any difference in rpms at all ...if I hold it WOT and turn it either way it doesn't make any differences ...granit it doesn't move very much with the limiter on it .
The saw has good throttle response and 4 strokes outta the cut ..I'm just a bit puzzled with the adjustments .
Maybe there isn't anything to be worried about?
Thanks
Ernie
Not sure if this is the right way for sure, get it to idle and warm it up, then adjust the low jet in or out until the highest idle speed is reached, there will be a plateau where it peaks but stays there until it start to go down. You want it at the highest/richest part of me plateau. Then I adjust the high so it four strokes at WOT. Then I go back and readjust the low again to the same highest idle, but on the rich side. Then I just adjust the idle speed to where the chain doesn't run at idle.

I know a tach is the right way, I just don't have one. Someone much smarter will be along shortly.

Good luck.
Larry

Get rid of that limiter too.

ErnieG

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It does have the sweet spot on the low side and anything over or below that the saw dies ...I can't get it high enough to just creep the chain then I'd be able to adjust the idle .
At WOT my high doesn't make any changes to the saw that I can hear ...I didn't use the tach on it .
I'll have to take the limiter off the high jet and see what happens.
Thanks
Ernie

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It does have the sweet spot on the low side and anything over or below that the saw dies ...I can't get it high enough to just creep the chain then I'd be able to adjust the idle .
At WOT my high doesn't make any changes to the saw that I can hear ...I didn't use the tach on it .
I'll have to take the limiter off the high jet and see what happens.
Thanks
Ernie
What happens if you adjust the idle higher. Also, did it pass a vac/pressure test. If you have an air leak, you will have problems.

ErnieG

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can adjust the idle up and down but that doesn't seem to affect the low jet adjustment.
I'm wondering if a piece of debris could be in the low jet and making this happen .
Yes it did pass a p/v test

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did you remove the jets and blast carb cleaner through to make sure they were clear? The carbs are pretty simple, but cleanliness is very important. You may want to take it apart again and take the ends off with the diaphragm and needle and seat, blast out the passages with carb cleaner. Did you remove the welch plug and make sure it is clear. Most kits come with new welch plugs.

Doesn't make sense that it can't be adjusted properly, unless there is debris or it got reassembled incorrectly. Did you replace lines and filter too?

Larry

ErnieG

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just replaced the diaphragms ..I didn't remove the welch plugs .
When I took it apart it was spotless inside so I didn't think the welch plugs would have to be done ..but maybe I'll have to .
Yes I also did all new lines and a filter
I'm gonna tear it down again and clean it and remove that limiter on the high side and see what happens .
I appreciate the help
Ernie

Reactions: Lnk

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Which tillotson carb is on the 2186? I wonder if it is the same as on the 2094. Is it the Rk-23HS?

ErnieG

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes it's the rk23 carburetor..if I can't get this carburetor straightened out i have the walbro carb on a parts saw maybe I'll try that one and see what happens .
Ernie

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The tillotson is a good carb. I think there is just some debris in it. You'll get it figured out. Let us know.