Flip

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
10:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ahh, thanks. People were talking about the better gas mileage of the 461 compared to the 460 and I was looking at the piston for the strato cut out's you see on most new strato saws.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
9:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was the 461 Stihl's last non-Strato saw?

Neither the 461.....661.....500i....or the 880 are stratified engines. Regardless of what they say.....

The timing events on the saws they refer to as delayed scavenging engines doesn't mesh with that actually happening to the extent they would have you believe.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Neither the 461.....661.....500i....or the 880 are stratified engines. Regardless of what they say.....

The timing events on the saws they refer to as delayed scavenging engines doesn't mesh with that actually happening to the extent they would have you believe.
Seems like the fuel mileage improvement with the 461 vs 460 is mostly due to the quad porting design of the 461 then?

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
9:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Seems like the fuel mileage improvement with the 461 vs 460 is mostly due to the quad porting design of the 461 then?

The muffler opening is tiny. The transfers are canted in such a way that back pressure created in the muffler can back feed into the uppers. Plus the jet in the carb is small. The coil is also different. Ignition timing could be altered to help with fuel economy.

My point is just this.....delayed savaging is at best a gimmick. And.....it's a dirty way to purge the hydrocarbons.

Flip

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The muffler opening is tiny. The transfers are canted in such a way that back pressure created in the muffler can back feed into the uppers. Plus the jet in the carb is small. The coil is also different. Ignition timing could be altered to help with fuel economy.

My point is just this.....delayed savaging is at best a gimmick. And.....it's a dirty way to purge the hydrocarbons.

Sounds like they're working around patents and are taking the scenic route to get to EPA compliance.

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Yep.;)