It's MS461 Time In Tennessee

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
12:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The jet you have circled is just like the HD50 with a main nozzle that isn’t drilled all the way through to the bowl and a separate fixed jet that always lets x amount of fuel through it. I drew in the jet locations in red and the path of fuel in blue through the aluminum casting that we can’t see. The other 2 brass jets are low and transition jets that probably flow into the welch plug area

View attachment 249821
That looks similar to some of the 084/088/880 carbs that can’t be leaned out no matter what without plugging a jet.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It helps me understand why when I put the .68 jet in... it was only 1/2 turn out on the H at 12,800rpm in 80 degrees ambient temp and 1000ft elevation. Changed back to the stock .62 jet... and the venturi bored out 1mm, I was 1 to 1-1/4 out on H at 12,800 in the same temps and elevation. When the saw and carb was stock it was 3/4 turn out at the same temp/elevation. I’m sure it would have ran ok if I left the .68, but I wanted room to be able to deal with variation in elevation, temperature and mix fuel. Taking into consideration my elevation is fairly low here in CT depending on where I am (varying from sea level to 1,100 feet roughly). I am guessing that 1 - 1 3/4 turn out on the H is a good ballpark range to shoot for depending on your elevation/temp?
Boring out the venturi slows the air down (more of it, but slower), which in turn needs more h side fuel because the slower air doesn’t pull as much.
Most of the carbs with both the fixed jet and the needle still put out extra fuel until about 4 turns or so.
We vary from 500 to 1200’ but I don’t see much difference between the 2. Not like going from 20* in the winter and it sits till I need it when it’s 90*

Last edited:

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd go with the used one … it doesn't have a baffle!!!!

I just finished the last Tax Return … (that I have all the information to do)!

One more still waiting on info … so relieved, I can mentally relax!!!

This year has been the most stressful ever. More folks waited till the end (because the Gov extended it) than in a normal year! The last few days have just been helter skelter!

It was complicated by the Covid crap, so the person is not across the desk for me to ask questions … so phone calls, emails, etc., hanging up on one call to take another, etc. It has not been fun. I'm frazzled!

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
11:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Workin on used anything sucks. Once you touch it you own any problems it already had.

I call it being married to it. Some guy called this morning wanting me to port a 371XP. I told him that I didn't want to end up married to a 371 with a blowed out crank. He was like......"HUH?"

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I call it being married to it. Some guy called this morning wanting me to port a 371XP. I told him that I didn't want to end up married to a 371 with a blowed out crank. He was like......"HUH?"
He just didn’t understand your Appalachian way of thinkin’

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
11:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Done with the rough in on the mufflers. Gonna take the rest of the day to rest my old hands. I've finally realized that if I push myself too hard, I wind up in a lot of pain, and am far less productive.

After supper, Glenda and I are gonna piddle around clearing an old logging road that goes to the river. Better for my hands than holding these tools.

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Done with the rough in on the mufflers. Gonna take the rest of the day to rest my old hands. I've finally realized that if I push myself too hard, I wind up in a lot of pain, and am far less productive.

After supper, Glenda and I are gonna piddle around clearing an old logging road that goes to the river. Better for my hands than holding these tools.

I have had a lifetime of pain. Several doctors told me I had arthritis(even back when I was in my 20's). Which, of course, I knew because I did a lot of stupid things long before I made it to my 20's. But that didn't explain the muscle pain. After 30 years of searching for an answer, one doc who did a blood test on me found me to be hugely vitamin D deficient. We did another test to be sure, cause he didn't believe how low it was, and I had even less the second time. Like more than 10X less than your average person normally tests for. He said it must be genetic, and I would have to deal with a chronic condition. And basically, I had a version of Rickets. Your body doesn't like to absorb or even make Vit D really unless you sun bathe. So most folks are a bit low. I had to do massive doses to build up a reservoir, and then do large doses every freakin day to keep it up when you have the deficiency I do. I started doing it over the last two years and it has made a huge difference. I was sceptical at first, and it doesn't make up for me being an idiot and mistreating my body for years, but it goes a long, long ways to making me not want to kill myself any more. My muscles heal much faster now and hurt much less. I can stand upright now without pain. I stopped having cramps, especially the ones that woke me up in the night. Sometimes they would literally be crippling if I worked too hard. Those have gone. My fingers work again, and have actually thinned a lot from less inflammation, and even my eyesight is a bit better. And the doc says due to less over-all inflammation, it seems my blood pressure also dropped a bit(which is mainly what helped my eyesight he says). I feel so much younger and better. It's a lot like when I took steroids - which some docs have prescribed over the years, and I gotta say - great stuff, except it made me purdy angry and aggro at times. If only one of those docs had caught this 30 years ago - my life would have been completely different. I mean, a life time of anti inflammatories, steroids, and pain killers could have been avoided. And then there's me being moody and ruining so many relationships with so many lovely women and people. Just... ugh. Sorry about the rant. It's morning and the coffee has kicked in.