Is it worth it

K-techcowboy

OPE Member
Local time
7:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How's it going everyone? I purchased a ms310 as part of a 4 saw buy. As is I have 25 bucks in it but it needs another $80 in parts to get it complete and running again. It would basically be brand new at that point as it needs a cylinder and piston and I was going to go ahead and toss a 390 topend on it. Is it worth having a touch over a bill in one of these saws. Ive never ran one so I don't know if there worth a damn or not. Thanks

Powerstroke Cowboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A 100 bucks into any almost new stihl is worth it. It's not a pro grade saw and it's a clam shell. But, it's still going to run just fine.

For what it's worth they are selling for around 300 on Ebay.

If you deem it not worth it, sell me the saw and ill fix it. LOL.

Last edited:

Woodwackr

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pull the muffler and whittle out the rectangular divot underneath the deflector. Doesn’t get much easier?? You do have to spend some time getting all the chips out.
Well, yea unless you don’t mind a few errant metal flakes gettin the motor.
And, yes, that can happen.
I disassemble the muffler and gut it. Then open up the outlet.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
8:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, yea unless you don’t mind a few errant metal flakes gettin the motor.
And, yes, that can happen.
I disassemble the muffler and gut it. Then open up the outlet.
I hit them with brake clean / air until everything is blown out and the can doesn’t rattle. Haven’t lost one yet and I’ve done a pile of them…because every Stihl lover in northeast PA has one or two. lol

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wish you great success. Many years ago I was buying pallets of the 029/290's from the Forest Service out in the PNW. I learned to hate working on that series.

Swapping a top end is not easy peasy

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I purchased a ms310
310/311s are good saws, I really liked the feel of the 311 and thought about getting one, but then a 261 came my way, same power, but 3 lbs less. I had two coworkers that had the older 310s and those saws were still going and they loved them.

Many years ago I was buying pallets of the 029/290's from the Forest Service out in the PNW. I learned to hate working on that series.
290s are not so bad, at least there are aftermarket cylinders for them ($11 Farmtech)....worked on a buddies 291 and could not find an aftermarket cylinder for that one, ended up just doing my best to buff out the score marks and get it back running.

Reactions: Lnk

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wish you great success. Many years ago I was buying pallets of the 029/290's from the Forest Service out in the PNW. I learned to hate working on that series.

Swapping a top end is not easy peasy
What did those pallets cost back then??

K-techcowboy

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A 100 bucks into any almost new stihl is worth it. It's not a pro grade saw and it's a clam shell. But, it's still going to run just fine.

For what it's worth they are selling for around 300 on Ebay.

If you deem it not worth it, sell me the saw and ill fix it. LOL.
I figured it would be. Just didn't know how it compares to others in it's class or similar cc. Side note I just snagged a 361 for $100 that needs a topend. Looks like it's done more sitting in a shed then running so I'm pretty stoked to get it back together. Just got new bb kit in the mail today.