High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Ignition coil gap?

Iron.and.bark

Eats trees & drinks dinosaur juice
Local time
2:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I am currently walking around with digital vernier calipers looking for something that measures .008 to .010

Look in your wallet ;) 5,10,20 & $50 notes. Gapped my 084 with a $50. :)

*edit oz has some nice plastic counterfeit proof notes ;) *

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
2:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I have a card from a saw parts distributer that says on the back,010 for gapping coils.

I've always set them at 010.

Setting them closer actually advances the ignition slightly,setting it wider retards it slightly.

Great stuff J
wonder if anyone would be so motivated to actually use a timing light to see how much it advances. would be much faster then grinding up a key....

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
1:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
It's a small amount, randy may know more about it.

decableguy2000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Question for Dave. Does the Stihl gauge come in other thicknesses?

Jeremy

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought I would stir the pot. I like to set mine to the hottest spark. I found one of my saws that although it was in spec, it was hard to start. I then tried different settings in a dark shed and looked at the spark at the plug. I found a 'range' where the spark was the hottest and set it in the middle of that range. That setting was actually outside the factory suggested range.

I could even detect a slight difference with having the trigger coil set at a different setting to the charging coil. So I put one feeler gauge under the trigger coil and a different one under the charging coil. Thankfully, I only have to do that experiment once on a saw to get the coil set right. On a cold morning, it's nice to have a saw that won't give me any problems coming to life.

If your saw doesn't give you any problems, then don't worry about it. However, if you do have some starting or maybe idling problems, then try testing for the strongest spark.

I use feeler gauges to set the gap. The hottest spark is a blue/white solid arc, red/yellow and thin is a weak spark.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a set of brass feeler gauges that work great for this. Don't remember how much they cost but it wasn't much.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I usually just have it against the cylinder fins. If I can't get the plug to sit against the fins, I use a jumper lead with alligator clips to ground the plug. The saw is real easy to pull over with the plug out. You can pull it over a couple of times and check the spark, then move from say a .3mm feeler gauge to a .35mm gauge and check the spark again. You do it a few times and you will get a 'range' of gaps that produces the best spark. I set the gap in the middle of the range.

On the saw I mentioned the factory range was between .3mm and .4mm. I ended up setting the gap at .43mm

Doing it in a darkened environment is very helpful to watch the spark.

panteliss

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I just went through a pile of old business cards and they ranged from .012 to .018

I am currently walking around with digital vernier calipers looking for something that measures .008 to .010

My wife tells me it only takes 2 signatures to have me sent to the mental institution when I do things like this :)

Theese digital calipers are a piece of *s-word theirs accuracy is for garbage so dont spent your time to find a .008 or .010 with them for this job you need a high precission micrometer specialy when you measure items like paper, rubber, etc,etc that can change theirs thicknes when they pressured .
so better is to find a way and order a stihl tool members like Definitive dave or maybe some others for sure will help you

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just remembered, I set the gap wider at first, say .5mm and work down. That way I can just stick in a smaller feeler gauge between the coil and fly wheel, loosen the coil screws, and the coil will then clamp down on the gauges for the next test.

Doing it that way saves having to physically move the coil each time you want to test it.