Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
4:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Howdy folks.

Recent research into setup of my 066 Red light led me to information saying the gap on the old electronic coil needed to be set at between .006 and .008

My business card I use measured .013

This has got me thinking about coil gap

Is there a optimal distance?
Is gap distance variable depending on saw/coil?
Does gap distance effect performance/spark intensity?

Open discussion, all saws and brands, any info welcome!

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
2:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The official gap gauges are different thicknesses for different ope from Stihl, toss the business card and spend $10 on the right tool (which I am probably out of) and your stuff will run better.
For proper setting you turn the magnet side of the flywheel away from the coil. loosen the coil, insert the proper gauge.
Next turn the magnet towards the coil and press the coil against the curved gauge while tightening the coil screws (carefully so as to not twist off the spade lug that I always forget to remove first).
The gauge should be snug to pull out.
Dave

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
1:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I have a card from a saw parts distributer that says on the back,010 for gapping coils.

I've always set them at 010.

Setting them closer actually advances the ignition slightly,setting it wider retards it slightly.

Brewz

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
there is a specific "tool" for gap made by Stihl....
lemme go see if I can dig up a PN#.

Edit: 1111 890 6400

I just rang my local Stihl dealer and they are $30 here.
I told him to forget it.

The official gap gauges are different thicknesses for different ope from Stihl, toss the business card and spend $10 on the right tool (which I am probably out of) and your stuff will run better.
For proper setting you turn the magnet side of the flywheel away from the coil. loosen the coil, insert the proper gauge.
Next turn the magnet towards the coil and press the coil against the curved gauge while tightening the coil screws (carefully so as to not twist off the spade lug that I always forget to remove first).
The gauge should be snug to pull out.
Dave

This is exactly how I set mine up, only using a measured thickness piece of paper.

I have a card from a saw parts distributer that says on the back,010 for gapping coils.

I've always set them at 010.

Setting them closer actually advances the ignition slightly,setting it wider retards it slightly.

Great info, I will set them to .010 with some paper and see how they go.

I have not had any problems setting them to random business card gap, I just figured there must be a correct spec similar to spark plug gap for optimal performance.

@angelo c and @Definitive Dave , what is the thickness of the official Stihl guage?

Gunn

Yay sawz
Local time
1:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's was Dave was trying to tell you, there's several gauges. Standard chainsaw is .010"

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I just rang my local Stihl dealer and they are $30 here.
I told him to forget it.

This is exactly how I set mine up, only using a measured thickness piece of paper.

Great info, I will set them to .010 with some paper and see how they go.

I have not had any problems setting them to random business card gap, I just figured there must be a correct spec similar to spark plug gap for optimal performance.

@angelo c and @Definitive Dave , what is the thickness of the official Stihl guage?

I ordered one from my dealer too. I'll measure mine when it gets here. And tell ya how much it was too.

Brewz

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just went through a pile of old business cards and they ranged from .012 to .018

I am currently walking around with digital vernier calipers looking for something that measures .008 to .010

My wife tells me it only takes 2 signatures to have me sent to the mental institution when I do things like this :)

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I just went through a pile of old business cards and they ranged from .012 to .018

I am currently walking around with digital vernier calipers looking for something that measures .008 to .010

My wife tells me it only takes 2 signatures to have me sent to the mental institution when I do things like this :)
Two layers of a pop/beer can ?

Brewz

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gunn, no one is overthinking anything!

I don't gap my spark plugs to "around about what I can find on the work bench that looks close enough"
I use my feeler gauges to set them to 0.5mm
As I said before, I know the business card works, I was interested in knowing the correct specification after reading some conflicting information stating vastly differing coil gaps on other internet sites.

I am not one to read something and just believe it.

@jmssaws do you know how much advance you get by setting the gap smaller? I assume it wouldn't be much.
I had the gap set at .008 on my brothers 044 and it was showing slight signs of too much advance (I took .020 off the key) with it being a bit of a pig to start and kicking back jarring the handle from your fingers now and then.
I took the gap out to .012 and it seems better.
I am going to leave it there cause its happy