High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Hustler Mowers

TPA1

OPE Member
Local time
7:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Anyone out there using a Hustler ZTR. I'm looking at the SD, and I'm liking what I'm seeing. Anyone care to toss in a recommendation or a warning?

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those are residential ZTR's and not as well built as others.; just my opinion but of course I use to working on the JDs too. I have a couple of the Hustler brand in my customer database. One Raptor and one Fastrak.

The Raptor came in with hydros nearly falling out and nearly did when raised it to replace the broken drive belt. Even after I fixed the hydros bolt down problem it continue to break OEM drive belts, only after I installed an aftermarket belt did the problem go away. It was just in for annual maintenance and other than worn out blades and normal maintenance no other problems found. Home owner.

The Fastrak was last in the shop in Sept 2015 when I had replace the carburetor needle seat. This is at a nursery so it get used a lot.

This is all the history I have with the Hustlers. Sorry I don't have more; I 'm just a small shop.

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Buddy of mine has a Raptor and the bolts holding the deck on kept shearing off or loostening up and falling out. Similar to this video.

There is a reason every landscaper runs Scag around here. They are near bulletproof and our Scag dealer is awesome.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
i run gravely.
hustler or bad boy is what i avoid heard to many horror stories.

TPA1

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've watched some of those videos, and I think I can work around the problems using the modifications they recommend. I am a homeowner who has to mow 10 acres once every 2 weeks and I can't justify the price of a commercial unit. I have machines to make whatever I need to repair and modify what I need to.

The Scag Liberty is worth a look, and I might just do that.

I appreciate the time to help a poor guy make better decisions.

KYsawman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I mow 9 acres on my farm once a week I had a bad boy 60" cut but it was very slow, I sold it and bought a Husqvarna m-zt 61. They had zero percent financing for 48 months. It has held up real well. It has the same hydros that the pro p-zt model has, but has one tank and a little different deck for $1800 less. I work on mowers for an RV park and they have a hustler and it has been ok so far but it is new last year.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My dad bought one last year. I believe it was a Raptor SD. His yard isn't the smoothest and I could tell by the amount of welding I had to do to his mower last year. He sold his Scag because it was too big for his yard and his health was going down hill. He paid someone to mow the year before last then decided to mow it himself last year. The non commercial Hustlers aren't that great IMO. His deck practically fell off. He is very disappointed in it. To the point he is looking into a small Scag to replace it with. When I ran it for him a few times it seemed like a good mower, but the deck brackets kept failing until I rewelded all of them. It may have been a fluke or built on a Friday.

Magnumitis

Kevin in Arkansas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Anyone out there using a Hustler ZTR. I'm looking at the SD, and I'm liking what I'm seeing. Anyone care to toss in a recommendation or a warning?

Badboys and Spartans are made here in town. We've run a Hustler fast track at work for several years,20/48" it has held up well for commercial use. They bought us a bad boy 31/61" commercial two years ago which I don't particularly care for compared to my hustler super z 31/60" at home. I'd absolutely buy another Hustler, but I'd also like to spend some time in the seat of a Spartan. I demo'd one last spring.

https://spartanmowers.com

Magnumitis

Kevin in Arkansas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Which one? I have been looking

I suppose you're speaking to me Wayne. The combinations are broad, I'd talk to a dealer. But start with budget and acreage to determine a starting point. I'd go for the mid level with a 54 or 60" deck with radial tires and suspension/upgraded seat as my only options. Everything else is just frills

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I suppose you're speaking to me Wayne. The combinations are broad, I'd talk to a dealer. But start with budget and acreage to determine a starting point. I'd go for the mid level with a 54 or 60" deck with radial tires and suspension/upgraded seat as my only options. Everything else is just frills

Iam looking for a good small one. Like a gravely zt 34"deck and 36 over all I have gates and flower beds to deal with.

Magnumitis

Kevin in Arkansas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Iam looking for a good small one. Like a gravely zt 34"deck and 36 over all I have gates and flower beds to deal with.

Gotcha. I'm not very familiar with those size mowers.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What does Hustler have in small offerings is what I was looking for.

Magnumitis

Kevin in Arkansas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What does Hustler have in small offerings is what I was looking for.
The Raptor line, which I'm not familiar with. I can speak highly of the FasTrack, but it starts at 48"

Four Paws

Chrome won't get you home
Local time
6:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
My dad runs a Hustler. He bought his back in '05 and other than some electrical gremlins (in the beginning, under warranty) it has served him well. He has been happy with it. It is a combination no longer made - fastrack 42" if I remember correctly - he mows just over an acre and chose the narrow deck due to rolling terrain.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Wayne, you might also look for a used commercial walk behind in 32-36" width. I just bought a pair of used mowers and did ok. A nice Scag, Excel, Ferris, Deere or Snapper might just be what the doctor ordered. The 36" Scag I bought works on several family properties where my old 24/61 Hustler Super Z didn't. It also mows a lot faster than a 21" push mower... Just a thought.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wayne, you might also look for a used commercial walk behind in 32-36" width. I just bought a pair of used mowers and did ok. A nice Scag, Excel, Ferris, Deere or Snapper might just be what the doctor ordered. The 36" Scag I bought works on several family properties where my old 24/61 Hustler Super Z didn't. It also mows a lot faster than a 21" push mower... Just a thought.
I have looked and what I have seen is scary in price and condition. Plus with my broke ass buying new I would get financed easier.

Four Paws

Chrome won't get you home
Local time
6:23 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I have looked and what I have seen is scary in price and condition. Plus with my broke ass buying new I would get financed easier.

Same in my area as well - used machines were either used up, or priced close to the cost of a new machine.