Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
6:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Family friend wanted me to freshen this up a bit. Just add a little pop.
Figure he has between 30-40 cord on it over the last 2 years.

I found the saw for him 2 years ago, to replace his homelite c5. Needless to say he absolutely loves this thing. I let him run my old ported 371, and it was all over lol.

First time ever messing with a strato saw.

Lots going on under the hood.

Well that ain't good, and wasn't like that when I picked it up for him.

Can't believe it didn't wreck anything. Must have went straight out the exhaust. Not a mark in the jug other than some carbon marks.

Anyone have experience with aftermarket 570,575,576 pistons. OEM are right round 100$

Numbers on this saw are 73 intake 101 exhaust and 109 transfers. .044 squish. And .017 base gasket.

My plan is to take .010 off the base, set squish back to .018-.020
Widen ex a bit and raise it to 100

Leave the transfers where they land. Want to stretch the blowdown, hoping for 12-13.

Just spend some time matching the boot to strato ports, and case to transfers. Nothing too radical here.

Open up the muffler a bit, and should be good to go.

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Guy's lucky that piece of the ring made it out of there. Wonder what caused that to happen?

Wagnerwerks

I have yet to "suffer" from CAD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
All I know about these is they chew up cranks. I've had 2 of these I bought to part out... both had spun the crank in the bearing. Now a kid I work with has one just like it. We will be selling his project off in favor of a 372xp.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All I know about these is they chew up cranks. I've had 2 of these I bought to part out... both had spun the crank in the bearing. Now a kid I work with has one just like it. We will be selling his project off in favor of a 372xp.

If he wants to part with the piston let me know :)

I'm not surprised about the bottom end issues, these use the same bearings as a 346.

But with as much use as this one has it has held up pretty good.

Wagnerwerks

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It was fried. We bought a 7 dollar farmertec piston before finding the crank issue. It's was surprisingly nice.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Best of luck with the 575 Red... I overhauled a basket case 575 for a friend awhile back and all seemed well for a time. It came back running poorly and I found that despite my best efforts to tighten up a loose PTO side crank bearing bore, it's sucking air by the PTO bearing again. Leak down test highly recommended bud.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Best of luck with the 575 Red... I overhauled a basket case 575 for a friend awhile back and all seemed well for a time. It came back running poorly and I found that despite my best efforts to tighten up a loose PTO side crank bearing bore, it's sucking air by the PTO bearing again. Leak down test highly recommended bud.

Thank you

This one must have got lucky with the bearing issue. It has a lot of time on it. I did inform him that when it does finally crap the bed, it will likely need new cases. Because of the bearing issues.

awol

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have installed several of the Golf pistons in the 576 saws after lightening them quite a bit, and they are still running.
On the 575, not a lot you can do for performance, the trans tubes and lack of stuffers are a real bottleneck. Widen the ex as much as possible, and comp increase will help.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have installed several of the Golf pistons in the 576 saws after lightening them quite a bit, and they are still running.
On the 575, not a lot you can do for performance, the trans tubes and lack of stuffers are a real bottleneck. Widen the ex as much as possible, and comp increase will help.

Thank you,

He wants oem piston, if it was mine I planned on trying a golf.

This saw has stuffers, but the transfer tubes do look like quite the bottle neck.

Tpagel

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have one of these I plan to do some work to.
Subbing in for the info
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wagnerwerks

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Not to highjack.... but if anyone wants a clean looking scored 575, let me know. I'm trying to help him out.

JT78

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I 're built one a few years back these saws are notorious for crank bearings and case issues some came from the factory loose enough the bearings would spin in the case and chew it up others the bearing. I 're used the top end cylinder and piston as it was salvageable and put new rings ended up having to completely replace the bottom end on it. Widened the intake and exhaust as much as possible and opened up muffler also removed base gasket. Wasn't too bad after that saw has seen about 20 tanks since then and still going for now tho that's not much run time. It almost kept up with the stock 7900 was running with a 28 cutting soft sweet gum. Not a big fan of 575 after all the saws I've seen trashed since then almost always from the bottom end.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Cut .006 off to set the squish,.

Cleaned the carbon off, and final squish ended up at .021

Roughed up the intake, widening the ex just a bit. Took it back up to 101.

Numbers ended up IN 75, EX 101, TR 116 .021 squish.

It lives..

Put a aftermarket unlimited coil on, think it is too far advanced, sounds a little off. Gonna put the blue 13,600 back on

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds good how does it cut now ?

Thank you.

Seems pretty decent, gonna try the stock coil tomorrow.
Just sounds off in the cut with the aftermarket coil. Had to grind the laminations to get it to gap, might be a bit tight/advanced too much. Didn't touch the key. Not sure what kind of curve the AF coils have.

Thought I read somewhere the blue coils have a better ignition curve to them.

I didn't do much, but I feel it picked up a little bit. Least he shouldn't have to worry about that piston exploding.

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm sure you made his day. You bought him some more time with it. Good work.