JR_sawing

Active OPE Member
Local time
10:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
plug-condition.jpg

The top plug has been in the saw for 4-5 years, the bottom one for maybe 15 minutes of run time. I'm guessing a piston ring gave out, but I'm not super knowledgeable about engines, so I'm looking for a second opinion.

The saw ran great until it didn't. It was a sudden change. The only problem I ever had with it, is that it would sometimes refuse to start after running for a while. But if I let it sit upright for a few hours, it would always start again like nothing happened. That's probably unrelated but I'll mention it.

With the new plug, the saw was able to briefly cut again but the power fell off after cutting a few limbs. I tried adjusting the high and low speed needles, but it didn't make any difference.

I figure I'm at least in for an engine rebuild, if the cylinder wall isn't scored and unsalvageble. What do you think?

Wood Chopper

So so sleepy....
Local time
11:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Running rich as hell. No we figure out why. How many turns clockwise can you turn the H Screw till it seats closed? I know you said you tried adjusting just trying to gauge where it is at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pull the muffler and check the piston and cylinder. My bet is it has run lean and scored. Compression is low which can give you the same result on the plug. Unburnt fuel and too rich are one in the same.

ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
11:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pull the muffler and check the piston and cylinder. My bet is it has run lean and scored. Compression is low which can give you the same result on the plug. Unburnt fuel and too rich are one in the same.

Well put!

JR_sawing

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wood Chopper - When I finished trying to adjust the saw, I had the needles turned all the way to the back of the saw. That isn't how I normally ran it though, and I tried turning them both halfway to the front or all the way forward. It didn't make any difference.

Steve - It looks like it takes a hex head screwdriver to get the muffler off. Any idea what size?

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
9:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Easiest solution is replace it. sounds like this is gonna be quite a bit of work to figure out and get going properly again. If your needle adjustments dont make a difference then there are underlying issues that take time and knowledge to figure out.

If your game your gonna have to at the least pull the cylinder and see whats going on like the others have suggested.

JR_sawing

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My tools came in a couple days ago but I haven't managed to break the muffler bolts loose yet. Maybe another night of soaking in Knock 'er Loose.

kneedeepinsaws - I bet you're right. Probably get another one and work on this one over the next few months.