High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Would porting be worth the $$$ in performance gain?

• Total voters

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
2:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Anyone in here have any experience with a Husky 36?
Picture for reference:
th

My Step-F.I.L. has an old one with a new bar/chain 16" x ? (the bar wasn't marked with what gauge or pitch it is) that will run on a prime but won't stay running and offered it to me along with 3 welded steel (heavy duty) 1/2 cord racks in exchange for about a cord of wood. That's worth $200 to me delivered in town, FWIW. I'll likely do it anyway as he could use the wood and the saw is very light and nimble feeling. I'm just curious with a 14" bar of 3/8"LP (what I want to run) how well it could pull it, provided I get it running correctly. I also wonder if a ported one might give a MS241 a run for its money in the limbing dept and/or if porting would be worth the $$$ on an essentially free saw?

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
3:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've eye'd these saws up for a few years now. I always wanted it to be the first saw I attempt anything on. Can't say I'm really ready but then again, will I ever be? If I find one for a steal, I'll @ least pick it up with the intention.
I remember this vid, I think it got me interested back then.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's an open port clamshell saw. You could widen the exhaust and intake a bit, but can't easily drop the jug for more compression. I had a 41 that I cut some gills in the muffler with a cut off wheel and it actually got about 10% faster. Sty57 has it now

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That answers a few questions. I will likely pick it up and see if I can't get it running correctly first, then try to give it a breathing treatment and find the appropriate bar/chain and drive sprocket for it... It could always be a dink around saw for misc odds and ends.

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
5:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was given a couple Stihl 021's a couple months back that a mate found at the tip.
They are about the same 35ish cc clamshell design saw.

I have put one back together for my 12 year old daughter to use as she has been asking to learn how to use a chainsaw

I gutted the baffle and opened up the factory outlets some and it runs really good.
I can start it with 1 finger ha ha

IMG_0192.JPG

The other one is yet to go back together and I have been having some cheeky thoughts about doing a bit of work on it to get it going a bit harder

The intake is horrifically oval and will benefit from widening and squaring out

I might have a go at it.

I recal @Chainsaw Jim building a hot MS180
Would love to know what he did porting wise

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well, I had it in my mind as a spare but in a few years it could be a starter saw for my kids to learn on, IF I don't open the ports any... We'll see.

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had Randy port my Husky 36 and it helped it a lot. I'm not sure if I would do it again but the saw had sentimental value so this just made it more likely to get used. I would say it can easily take in a stock Stihl ms250 and may be close to the stock Husky 350 I had. Of course that is running a 16" bar and lo pro chain. Going to non safety chain is the biggest gain for a stock saw, but after porting it is quite respectable.

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was given a couple Stihl 021's a couple months back that a mate found at the tip.
They are about the same 35ish cc clamshell design saw.

I have put one back together for my 12 year old daughter to use as she has been asking to learn how to use a chainsaw

I gutted the baffle and opened up the factory outlets some and it runs really good.
I can start it with 1 finger ha ha

View attachment 42383

The other one is yet to go back together and I have been having some cheeky thoughts about doing a bit of work on it to get it going a bit harder

The intake is horrifically oval and will benefit from widening and squaring out

I might have a go at it.

I recal @Chainsaw Jim building a hot MS180
Would love to know what he did porting wise
Jim's 180 absolutely spanked a healthy 200t.

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Just do it, what can it hurt ? Even if it doesn't turn out as well as expected you will still learn something along the way. I have a little 017 here I'm about to go into with he same intentions. I don't expect massive gains, but if it pics up a little and makes a respectable limber I'm happy.

KYsawman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The 36 is a good little saw, it is the same as a 41, a muffler mod realy wakes them up. my 36 came scored and I installed 41 jug and slug. I have had one 36 and two 41's all had 3/8 low pro 16". They would do graet with a 14". They are A041 poulan mount. you can mod a ko95 to fit. the watch out on these is the intake tube and pulse gromet.

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I like the potential of these little model 36 saws. I almost built mine up but the crank is shot.
One thing that seems to turn these little things into racers is a larger carb after some good port work. compression didn't matter one bit when it came to my 180 build and I'm not sure you'd want higher comp on a little clam with a stamped rod anyways.
One thing about my 180 was it wanted more exhaust flow. It really liked it when I added the third port to the muffler.

e.fisher26

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Anyone in here have any experience with a Husky 36?
Picture for reference:
th

My Step-F.I.L. has an old one with a new bar/chain 16" x ? (the bar wasn't marked with what gauge or pitch it is) that will run on a prime but won't stay running and offered it to me along with 3 welded steel (heavy duty) 1/2 cord racks in exchange for about a cord of wood. That's worth $200 to me delivered in town, FWIW. I'll likely do it anyway as he could use the wood and the saw is very light and nimble feeling. I'm just curious with a 14" bar of 3/8"LP (what I want to run) how well it could pull it, provided I get it running correctly. I also wonder if a ported one might give a MS241 a run for its money in the limbing dept and/or if porting would be worth the $$$ on an essentially free saw?

36ab3f73702abe299c3d147db8beae1a.jpg
71c19d9b29c6b719041da4049fe02803.jpg
this was a freebie, carb kit and muff mod later... it's a good saw, I have a 14in bar for limbing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JT78

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Saw was running semi chisel safety chain in the vid and is still set rich.