Husqvarna 338XPT flywheel interchangeability

Dan2525

New OPE Member
Local time
6:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Greetings all,
I'm trying to replace a flywheel on a 2011 338xpt I'm resurrecting (previous owner ran over it). My flywheel has screws holding the starter pawls on and a built in key to mate up with the crank shaft (at least it had a built in key when it was new; it's gone now) I think I need part #537233901. I've seen other listings for different year 338's that have riveted starter pawls on the flywheels (part #503584604). Does anybody know if the flywheels are interchangeable?
I'm trying to keep this rebuild budget friendly and have found a couple listings for used flywheels with the riveted starter pawls.
Thanks in advance for the help!

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 503584604 part number does not show it supersedes in the Husqvarna system (actually, it doesn't come up at all). The 537233901 does show to be a good part number, wish I could be more help. Maybe @Spike60 could shed some light on the situation?

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is it just missing the cast key? If so it's still useable. Have cut a slot where key was and made a key out of a washer. Can just be lined up and tighten down, make sure to clean crank and inside of flywheel, good. It's just a friction fit.

Dan2525

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas. I might just try cutting a slot in the existing flywheel. If it works, it will certainly be keeping with the budget minded theme of this build.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had to do some research on this, cause like Joe said, the one doesn't supersede to the other. But I found it, and "full replaceability prevails".

Dan2525

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Had to do some research on this, cause like Joe said, the one doesn't supersede to the other. But I found it, and "full replaceability prevails".
"full replaceability" is a mouthful. Just to be clear, that means they are in fact interchangeable correct?
Thanks again!

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you have a picture the inside, where key is sheared off? Have repaired many 365/371/372 flywheels from local logger removing decompression and drop starting, small guy, 6'5" 300+.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Only fits saws in that family Steve.

BTW, the 440 family has 2 different flywheels. All of the "II" models have a different flywheel than the original. That same oddity applies to the larger 445/450 also. BUT, those saws take different flywheels than the smaller 440 family. And not to forget, each of the 4 flywheels has it's own coil. So, we're talking 4 flywheels and 4 coils. The early/late versions of the 445/450 are easy to tell apart, as the newer "II" models do not have a deco like the first version did. I don't even know how to tell the 435/440 apart if the decals are gone.

Is that a complete mess or what? I've really never liked any of those saws, and the love sure isn't getting any better while I'm typing this. lol

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I did it right, this should be a pic of the sheared off key.
View attachment 357746
I see three ways to make this work. Mark that flywheel on outer edge straight across from key mark the mark case across from crank slot, clean both inside of flywheel and outside of crank, you want no grease or oil. Install flywheel and tighten, keeping marks lined up. Or take dremel and cut a slot in flywheel where key was, picture is of bits I use, sure there is other methods, then find a washer that fits tight into crank slot and will fit into key way slot, cut side off of it and make a key. Not sure that would be necessary with that smaller saw, friction fit will work. Reason that key sheared, not clean surfaces, loose flywheel, heavy handed. Last, buy a new flywheel, myself if magnets are strong would rather make parts I have work. Sure others have ideas how to re-use that flywheel. IMG_9212.JPG

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
5:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Only fits saws in that family Steve.

BTW, the 440 family has 2 different flywheels. All of the "II" models have a different flywheel than the original. That same oddity applies to the larger 445/450 also. BUT, those saws take different flywheels than the smaller 440 family. And not to forget, each of the 4 flywheels has it's own coil. So, we're talking 4 flywheels and 4 coils. The early/late versions of the 445/450 are easy to tell apart, as the newer "II" models do not have a deco like the first version did. I don't even know how to tell the 435/440 apart if the decals are gone.

Is that a complete mess or what? I've really never liked any of those saws, and the love sure isn't getting any better while I'm typing this. lol

CB.jpg