Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
9:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those pricey Oem ignitions from the dealer are the reason many 2 piece ignition saws hit the junk pile. Funny how I have a 162se 2 piece saw with the wires done up with brush on electrical tape and they keep going and going.

My experience with the two piece ignition is the OEM ones are basically bulletproof. I have had to repair the wires where the insulation got brittle and fell off but other than that they are flawless.

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a couple 2 piece saws give problems. I bought 1 new oem set up for like 140 for the pair. Then started buying the aftermarket ones and they work perfect. Ive had much more trouble from the 1 piece systems by far. I have had very good luck from a seller performance saw supply or little red barns aftermarket coils for huskys/jonsered's coils. Out of the 10-15 ive used 1 was bad out of the box all others work well. I do think the am ones have a more aggressive timing curve or very little starting retard. They will bite you.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
8:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The biggest reason by far for 266/670 ignition failures from what I've seen is plain old overheating due to two things. First one being logger types using the drain oil out of their skidder to lube the bar and chain that eventually coats the entire saw. Then a layer of sawdust lasagna goes on with more oil more sawdust until it's thick enough to overheat. The second problem is not bothering to clean it up at all. A little house keeping would go a long way into keeping these units cool and working proper.

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Im sure heat does kill them. One of them i know was clean its whole life. My dad alwaus pulls the covers and at minimum blows it all out with shop air. That one still made it from early 90ish till 2016. Pretty good run id say. I think both systems are pretty durable.

CJ Brown

I learned it from a hockey card...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well after reading all this 266, se, sg, Xp, special, 66, 61, 268, 272, 625, 630, and 670 ,super and champ I think I am more confused then ever and starting to get a little dizzy. I can tell you definitely 266's are very solid runners

You forgot the 162se/sg, 166 and super II's, lol...
I still can't quite get a handle on the special, op, cp thing...

You can also add 268SE to the list. I picked one up last weekend.

CJ Brown

I learned it from a hockey card...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And for anyone keeping score, the 268SE I have here came with a Mahle 50ZN14 non-decomp cylinder.

zedex

Active OPE Member
Local time
6:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Great conversation guys. :) New guy here and had to contribute.
I was doing some research on the 268xp and stumbled onto this conversation. I had to chuckle because only guys could get so deep into a chainsaw conversation and the various interchangeability aspects. :) Makes me feel proud.:)
So i will share my experience.
I have a 268XP 100th anniversary which i bought off a logger friend for $50. This was 15 years ago or so. The top end was seized but saw was in otherwise beautiful condition.
I was looking for a donor body because my 162SE got smashed by a tree falling on it. Thanks friend!!!!
So i took the piston and jug off the 162SE and transplanted it onto the 268xp. The saw didnt run worth a crap with the 268xp carb. So IIRC i put the 162SE carb on the 268XP with the already installed jug and piston and it ran like a top with lots of power. I dont know why the 268 carb wouldnt work properly i now assume maybe the piston is different on the SE or just maybe the port configuration. I dont know maybe an actual pro can tell me why. Back then i didnt care i just wanted a functional chainsaw again. But anyways the 268 is an excellent saw and wanted to share my experience.
The only reason i was curious about the 268xp is because on a gun site i attend i was asking a question about a broken off raker and mentioned it was on the 268XP and several members wanted to buy it. I didnt know it was remotely desirable. This saw resides on my quad full time and only used it when i had to cut away deadfall. BTW im in BC Canada so there is no shortage of deadfall. :)
I used my 562XPG(RIP) for firewood and accidentally obliterated it(this time it was me) by a large fir that spun 90 degrees and pile drove that saw into the ground. :( Is it wrong to almost cry when your beautiful saw gets reduced to little bits and pieces?) I did feel sick to my stomach and was pretty depressed for a few days. So anyways the 268XP to the rescue bucking up the killer fir tree. So thats my story. :)
Cheers and happy inhaling 2 stroke fumes.

Oh hey what the hell. Heres a picture of my coveted 562xpg. I loved that saw. I used to just stare at it with love in my eyes. :) The saw had around 10 hours on it. RIP
GDISQtH.jpg

Last edited:

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That 562xpg should be able to run again with a careful once over and reasonable expectations and proper used parts.

zedex

Active OPE Member
Local time
6:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I cant tell if thats sarcasm.:) The only things that survived are the bar,chain,clutch,clutch cover,crank,crank bearings,rod,piston,and muffler. Everything else was thoroughly destroyed. Even finding a good 562 with bad crank bearings is a crap shoot because i think crap from bad bearings will get sucked into the top end and score the cylinder. On that XPG motor casting is broken,the jug fins are sheared off, flywheel fins are sheared off. Carb shafts are bent. Wire pulled out of the coil. Nothing survived other than whats listed.