MAF143

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I knew better

That's my problem at this point, I DON'T know better... yet!!! I'm learning a lot hanging out here with all you big brain guys... LOL I'm very grateful for all the great info and guidence you all share.

This project has been a lot of fun and if this saw opens up some more after a few more tanks of gas, I will truly be amazed. It's already put a smile on my face... As @Duane(Pa) mentioned earlier, it's been a treat so far and I'm just getting started with this saw.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can't imagine I paid much for this thing. I'll check it on the other saws tomorrow and probably end up chucking it in the junk barrel.
View attachment 320328

If it says my MS250 is running 15K it's going straight to the landfill... I'm not a fan of Sh** that lies to me!!!
That’s the one. Mine was black.

MAF143

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now this morning that tach says the 357 is at 15,200 and 4 stroking nice.
the MS250 with MM read 12,500
and I couldn't get a reading on the MS362C, it just bounced all over.

No videos this morning, it's raining here.

tach is in the junk barrel.

MAF143

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been breaking this saw in and this is about 1/2 way through the third tank of gas so I'm thinking it's really not come alive yet but I wanted to see where it was compared to my other saws. This is the first time I really opened it up for more that just a few seconds. This was the second cut in this log with the better time.

looked like 14.7 seconds
72DL .375 full comp full chisel square filed chain

Next up: My Stihl MS362C

looked like 18.8 seconds
MM and timing advanced
84DL .375 full skip, full chisel square filed chain

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been breaking this saw in and this is about 1/2 way through the third tank of gas so I'm thinking it's really not come alive yet but I wanted to see where it was compared to my other saws. This is the first time I really opened it up for more that just a few seconds. This was the second cut in this log with the better time.

looked like 14.7 seconds

looked like 18.8 seconds
MM and timing advanced
You look to have your chains really dialed in. Is that beech?

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

looked like 14.7 seconds

looked like 18.8 seconds
MM and timing advanced
357 looks good! Sit back and enjoy. I've been using mine a lot lately.

MAF143

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You look to have your chains really dialed in. Is that beech?

Thanks on the chains. I try to keep them pretty sharp all the time. I can't stand a dull chain. The chain on the 357 was brand new husky chain that Marvin had put on it before I bought the saw. I had limbed and bucked a 60' Elm tree with this saw prior to porting it and got it in the dirt a little so I converted it to square filed then used it on this saw to buck about half a cord of logs in one of the processing areas. I put it back on and bucked a 50' 10" DBH Cherry with it as well. It still felt pretty good so I didn't touch it up for this video. The skip chain on the Stihl has cut and noodled about 3/4 of a cord of hardwoods since it's last touch up. It is nearly at end of life with maybe two more sharpenings left on it. It was a Archer. The square filed chains seem to hold a nice edge and point on them for me.

The wood is Maple. I'm not quite sure which Maple, pretty sure it isn't Sugar Maple but I'm thinking Silver or Red.

I wish it was Beech. I love burning Beech. I haven't cut much of it lately because there haven't been any in the way here on the farm... I had burned some last winter so the last time I cut any was at least 3 years before that. I'm gonna have to got back in the back corner and skid some out this next summer. I know there are several back there that are marked for culling.

Last edited:

ZukiRyder400

Breaker of recoils
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

looked like 14.7 seconds

looked like 18.8 seconds
MM and timing advanced
357 looks good and strong to me! Nice chain too

MAF143

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
time warp to a year and a half later...

I'm very happy with this saw. I use it a lot and it runs strong, starts reliably (and easily with the blue pill pushed in), and is a pleasure to use. As I get a littler further along in life I appreciate having a saw that will do most everything I need in a weight class that I can handle.

Again I just want to thank all the folks who guided me and contributed to my learning experience.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
5:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you get the itch to mess more try some 23rs chain if you can find it…maybe even 24”

MAF143

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you get the itch to mess more try some 23rs chain if you can find it…maybe even 24”

It wears a Tsumura 24" light bar on it all the time (ever since shortly after I got it built) with full comp full chisel square filed chain of various branding.

I'm not overly picky about chain as long as it's square filed and razor sharp...

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
5:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It wears a Tsumura 24" light bar on it all the time (ever since shortly after I got it built) with full comp full chisel square filed chain of various branding.

I'm not overly picky about chain as long as it's square filed and razor sharp...
If you’re running square, might as well stick with it