Husqvarna 181/281/288 Repair Thread.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
10:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
AND...I spy a different throttle linkage set up on that old hawg. Factory?

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought the 181's were identical in every way. Learn something everyday on here.

Cylinders were different as well. The 181 has a tiny combustion chamber, and some had a thin ring full circle piston. The mufflers were different as well I believe. Some 281s came with the high top setup, all 181s were low top. Also, the early 181 used the smaller 6202 bearing and smaller seal on the flywheel side, so the early cranks are different.

Matt M.

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'll need some parts and hardware for mine but the engine is staying intact for now. I had it running briefly about 5 years ago when I got it and if I remember, compression was over 170, I want to say it was 180. I need to buy a new gauge. It has not been used much but it did throw or break a chain at some point.

Daserlon

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lets keep this thread going guys. I know that a 181 isn't a 281/288 but it's damn near except for a few small things. I've got a 181 and a couple 181/288's. I love them all, great power and easy to work on just like any 2 series husky. I've got something that'll make the 181 guys jealous and no its not for sale.0115180045.jpg its a brand new OEM NLA thin ring top-end kit. And a crappy pic lol

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What is the story on that saw?
Not sure I can do this story the justice it deserves but here goes. Maybe Joe can help me out here with some of the details?
Several months ago Joe @Onan18 and I were chatting. I mentioned that someday I'd like to have one of the saws he rebuilt. He does an excellent job on his rebuilds so I know any saw he's worked on will be right and won't have any issues. Joe also knew that I'd been toying with the idea of getting a bigger husky. From what I understand Joe contacted several generous members and they all pooled their time, skills and resources and this saw was born. I had no idea about any of this until yesterday after I picked up a "package" from my local post office.
I'm still in shock and at a loss for the right words.

To everyone that had a hand in putting this saw together, thank you all so very much. The time and hard work involved in creating this saw really shows. It's a beauty. I feel honored to have it. Thanks again guys. Wow

Time's Standing Stihl

Below me...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not sure I can do this story the justice it deserves but here goes. Maybe Joe can help me out here with some of the details?
Several months ago Joe @Onan18 and I were chatting. I mentioned that someday I'd like to have one of the saws he rebuilt. He does an excellent job on his rebuilds so I know any saw he's worked on will be right and won't have any issues. Joe also knew that I'd been toying with the idea of getting a bigger husky. From what I understand Joe contacted several generous members and they all pooled their time, skills and resources and this saw was born. I had no idea about any of this until yesterday after I picked up a "package" from my local post office.
I'm still in shock and at a loss for the right words.

To everyone that had a hand in putting this saw together, thank you all so very much. The time and hard work involved in creating this saw really shows. It's a beauty. I feel honored to have it. Thanks again guys. Wow

Very cool! It's a beaut Clark