Husky Coil College

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
8:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good info Bob. I remember when I swapped a black coil into my 372XT at Walt’s the idle increased by about 1500 rpm and I had to bring it down with carb adjustments. In your opinion: do you think the blue coils have an advantage over the black coils in their advance curve? Talking overall performance not just ease of starting. Thanks

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
5:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Good info Bob. I remember when I swapped a black coil into my 372XT at Walt’s the idle increased by about 1500 rpm and I had to bring it down with carb adjustments. In your opinion: do you think the blue coils have an advantage over the black coils in their advance curve? Talking overall performance not just ease of starting. Thanks
What's the part number stamped on that black coil?

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had one black coil that ran noticeably better on saws than the others. It had a good sticker on it and I had to drill the mounting holes out to out it on a 372

EvilRoySlade

What’s my line?
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I'm not mistaken Ed Heard did that shortly after they first came out Jim.

No idea what coil he was using.
Ed machined an adapter plate to mount a regular carb. I’d need to dig up the info but I thought he un-stratoed it.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To hold your house down, in case of high winds?

Haha!

I think the super was 70cc and the rest of the 041's were 60cc? So, it brings the engine size more in line with the weight.

Found it in a barn full of saws a few years ago. Former Stihl/Jonsered/Homelite dealer over in MA. Place was just loaded with saws, mostly old stihls and homies. Half were toast, but many were trade ins that they never did anything with, so it didn't take much to get them running.

I gave all the other stihls away;, 031's, 032's, 045, 056, 028's, 038, 042. The 045 ran really well for whatever displacement they are. I honestly think I kept the 041 cause is has one of the best exhaust notes out there. Especially at idle. Plus the Stihl guys can't call me a "saw bigot" as long as I own one. :)

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

The first XT's were a royal pain to get to idle correctly. The first coil change was to a coil with a digital advance. The advance was supposed to kick in at about the same RPM as clutch engagement, which is about 3500. But you'd get this real annoying surging with some of the early saws at an lower RPM as the advance was kicking in and out. And they'd all come out of the box with the idle a little too high making it worse.

There was also a change to the carb at the same time and the SB said that you had to change them together. Never really understood that as there's no electronic connection to the carb. Some of this came into play when you swapped coils at Walt's.

I'll put some part numbers up later today. It's really the XT's where you'll notice some of this stuff. The 372OE's weren't as fussy with the coils.

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Haha!

I think the super was 70cc and the rest of the 041's were 60cc? So, it brings the engine size more in line with the weight.

Found it in a barn full of saws a few years ago. Former Stihl/Jonsered/Homelite dealer over in MA. Place was just loaded with saws, mostly old stihls and homies. Half were toast, but many were trade ins that they never did anything with, so it didn't take much to get them running.

I gave all the other stihls away;, 031's, 032's, 045, 056, 028's, 038, 042. The 045 ran really well for whatever displacement they are. I honestly think I kept the 041 cause is has one of the best exhaust notes out there. Especially at idle. Plus the Stihl guys can't call me a "saw bigot" as long as I own one. :)
Yeah that seems about right for displacement. I have an 041fb on a shelf, pretty nice shape actually, but sat for a long time with water in it, so on the shelf it shall remain...cool lookin old saws tho actually.

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Awesome Info as always!
Either way looks like I need a couple of coils..:) One for that 385 JPS and one for a new build on a 390 Top end. Oh yeah, one for a 365 build thats going to happen.

Might be fun on the next UOMS/JPS build to try and mix and match Carbs & Ignitions on the Red Jred 2260 cases and a 562 top end and plastic, a "Bob" saw? I have a few that came with el46's and an el48. Have to wonder how much the firmware covers for the changes.

Is it worth getting the updated Ignition far a 2012 2172? The one thats probably going to get better bearings?

I think ultimately folks will want to know the "best" PN for the models they happen to have or like. So whats the Best for the following in my case:
372XT
& 562/2260.

Last edited:

Sty57

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
When they do firmware up dates on the AT saws. Should they be done on all older saws or do parts changes dictate a firmware update?