Lol. Nah, your not crazy! [emoji482]

Leafy

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Metabo makes some of the best grinders there is.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ehhh it seems like the real benefit to the Metabo over the makita is that the Metabo has safeties for the tool and won't let you burn it up but the makita will let you melt it.

moparnut88

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Might be true we've had a bunch of Milwaukee they r powerful but didn't handle debris well the dewalt were junk the metabo is the only ones that have held up long term. The makita we have has been good as well but I prefer the ergonomics of the metabo to it.
Ehhh it seems like the real benefit to the Metabo over the makita is that the Metabo has safeties for the tool and won't let you burn it up but the makita will let you melt it.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The angled files cut a little easier Kevin? Better control?

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The angled files cut a little easier Kevin? Better control?
The straight ones, to me, need pressure exerted differently than the angled ones do, so I wasnt hitting my corners as good as I do with the angled files. Frustrated me enough, so they went away

That's surprising to hear. Few years ago they were like hens teeth. Everyone seemed to want 'em and no one could find 'em. I've never tried one.
I gave away 1/2 dozen new, straight ones ............. thats how much I didnt like them

concretegrazer

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The straight ones, to me, need pressure exerted differently than the angled ones do, so I wasnt hitting my corners as good as I do with the angled files. Frustrated me enough, so they went away

I gave away 1/2 dozen new, straight ones ............. thats how much I didnt like them

I never have used them either. Just guessed they'd be harder to chip out.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We've got an old black and decker wildcat 9" grinder and that's how it is. Cant kill it. It's aluminum. Prlly 30yrs old.

Great for use outdoors in a light mist for an apprentice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Douglas Ostrander

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
5 inch Metabo works great on grinding rivets down before breaking chains. Even used it on rackers on supper skip milling chain. But if I leave the Metabo plugged in the motor stays warm. Picked it up next morning and could feel it was warmer than ambient.

moparnut88

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
5 inch Metabo works great on grinding rivets down before breaking chains. Even used it on rackers on supper skip milling chain. But if I leave the Metabo plugged in the motor stays warm. Picked it up next morning and could feel it was warmer than ambient.

We've never had that problem with ours yet.

WOODS

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Between all of the angles I have gathered from here and an McCulloch owner's manual, I am going to give the 30, 30 and 10 a run on the File-n-Joint as soon as I have time. I only have the one file - a Stihl 3 corner. I brought two 3/8" by 1/4" by 1" bronze bushings from Lowes today and tapped them for a shortened set screw. Seen to fit snug; I hope they hold up.

Before I buy some double bevel files, let me ask if the narrow plane of a double bevel is any wider than the narrow plane of the 3 corner file?

I converted the chain I was experimenting to round as it would have taken a lot of filing to straighten out the mess I made of it. Probably shortened its life by at least 4 sharpenings.

I spent all day making a base to hold my jigs. It is heavy enough I can just sit it on a table and go to filing. Here are some pictures, square on one side and round on the other. Of course to use it on a table top you can't have a chain on the back jig. The wood is from a cherry I cut in the back yard when I was building my house 15 years ago. It is just sitting on the aluminum I-beam for the pictures. I believe the stool was made from some cherry my dad cut in Florida when I was a kid.

Square jig: Round jig:

IMG_3444.JPG IMG_3449.JPG

Other views:

IMG_3443.JPG IMG_3445.JPG

Ron