RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
4:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ahhh. Makes sense then. Thank you sir.
I just wanted to check to make sure I wasn't doing anything differently. As in wrong. Lol

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Artisan wood workers study wood structure and composition. Each piece of a jewelry box might be hand selected for just the right alignment of grain in a fancy joint or on a surface. I guess the point is, that they study fiber cutting efficiency too.

Here again, I'm the dude that thinks a dead barkless tree is a work of art. That, and I shoot rabbits...

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

WOODS

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
@brshephard
While in the garage today, I remembered you asking for pics of the double bevel file adapter barrels I turned on the lathe for the newer style file n joint or Oregon guide. Here they are

View attachment 138872 View attachment 138873 View attachment 138874

That is what I need; the bushings not a lathe. I ground down some aluminum cable stops with a drill and the belt grinder, then drilled and tapped a set screw hole. Worked only fair due to file length. Tonight I thought I had the left cutter angles worked out so I rotated the file for the right cutter and one of the bushings fell off never to be seen again. Your larger bushings and the flat file look a lot easier to set the angle. Maybe I can talk a local machinist into making some for me.

What files are you using?

Ron

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is what I need; the bushings not a lathe. I ground down some aluminum cable stops with a drill and the belt grinder, then drilled and tapped a set screw hole. Worked only fair due to file length. Tonight I thought I had the left cutter angles worked out so I rotated the file for the right cutter and one of the bushings fell off never to be seen again. Your larger bushings and the flat file look a lot easier to set the angle. Maybe I can talk a local machinist into making some for me.

Ron
I use bahco from here
https://aboloxtools.com/bahco-4-150-07-3-0-flat-chisel-bitfile-7

Vallorbe seem to be better, but difficult to find

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Ron
You can also get an older granberg 106 (I think that's the model) or an older Oregon with the triangular shaped file holder. It's already at a decent angle for a double bevel file. No bushings required

Screenshot_20180308-210128.png

concretegrazer

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Ron

I missed that you were using a 3 corner file. My #'s were with a double bevel like Kevin linked above. & I think I had the chain stop fully extended as well.

WOODS

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You can also get an older granberg 106 (I think that's the model) or an older Oregon with the triangular shaped file holder. It's already at a decent angle for a double bevel file. No bushings required

View attachment 138924

I have read that the 107 was made for square filing, but finding one is tough. I have a 108 and it is basically triangular but it doesn’t hold the small triangular file very well. Will the 6 sided flat files fit?

Ron

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have read that the 107 was made for square filing, but finding one is tough. I have a 108 and it is basically triangular but it doesn’t hold the small triangular file very well. Will the 6 sided flat files fit?

Ron
If it's like the last pic I posted, yes. I had to grind about .010" off the width on both sides on the wide end of the double bevel file.