Buy Used Saws CCC Ebay Store

How often do you use your chainsaw?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Shanesaw80, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Shanesaw80

Shanesaw80 Tree Assassin

First off I really enjoy this site and reading all the different content and information from other people so I’m sorry if there’s already thread about this but I searched and couldn’t find anything.

I know there’s a ton of different types of chainsaw experience on the forum, some who cut full time, some who use it as a hobby and some who are more into the building and fixing of the saws. It’s great hearing and learning from different people.

I’m on the side of a full time faller/cutter. When I’m not falling trees myself I teach falling courses and basic chainsaw safety courses. I do all of my own maintenance and have rebuilt stock saws over the years but when it comes to porting and things like that I’m completely lost but trying to learn more about it.

While driving back to the hotel from work the other night I got to thinking about how many cutting hours I actually put on a chainsaw on average. I would say I put anywhere between 175-200hrs a month of actual cutting time. Some months a lot more with the added daylight in the summer but I rarely go under that. Got me wondering how much others run their saws? Or how much time you spend doing other things like building and porting them? I guess I’m just curious as to what type of experience you have with chainsaws, whether it’s falling trees, fixing them or both. I’m interested in hearing what you guys do!

2. dmb2613

dmb2613 Well-Known OPE Member

I run on average 5 used saws a day, just long enough to make sure they are right and service about 2 average a day [ new saws ] . Then at home in the summer I run a few more lol

Pincher, Cat 525, Dub11 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Duane(Pa)

Duane(Pa) It's the chain...

I suppose I burn about 12 gallons of mix a year. That would be about a quart a week right? Total hobby for me. I like to buck firewood. Split, stack, haul, not so much. I sell most of what I cut, and burn a little in the shop, mostly uglies and cookies.

qurotro, Wolverine, merc_man and 4 others like this.
  4. Dustin4185

Dustin4185 Pinnacle OPE Member

It varies greatly for me. I enjoy running saws and cutting wood. I also run saws for work on a wildlife management area. After big storms or when daylighting roads, we run them a lot. I tend to be the primary feller and let one of the others buck and the other on equipment to move it. I put an hour meter on a work saw just to see what we do use them in a year. My problem is I like my ported saws so well, I use them instead!

merc_man, Pincher, Duane(Pa) and 2 others like this.
  5. MotherGoose

MotherGoose Well-Known OPE Member

Full time faller here. 6 hours on the saw 5 days a week

merc_man, Pincher, Duane(Pa) and 3 others like this.
  6. Marshy

Marshy WFO Cutting

Oh, you're suppose to use them?? :confundio1:

7. merc_man

merc_man merc_man

Not much trigger time for me anymore since my son started cutting and loves it. I used to sell firewood but i slowed down cause bad back. Just my own personal firewood about 12 or so face cord a year.
    Might start selling again who knows. Its alot of extra work but i enjoy it.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

8. huskyboy

huskyboy Sorta a Husqvarna guy.

I run about 1-2 gallons a day doing the tornado salvage logging job we’re on right now. Probably burn more falling since it’s faster paced than the tricky tornado stuff.

9. FergusonTO35

FergusonTO35 Pinnacle OPE Member

I come and go in spells. It really depends on if there is any wood nearby begging to be cut and how engrossed I am in other hobbies at the time. I would guess the average is around 20-40 hours of saw use a year. Divided by four running saws and that really ain't much!

Shanesaw80 likes this.
  10. fearofpavement

fearofpavement Pinnacle OPE Member

My saw usage is very intermittent. If I'm doing a tree job, I may run a saw an hour or two in a day. I test saws and probably spend as much time cutting cookies as I do cutting firewood. Yesterday I felled a burning snag with a pole saw (didn't dare to get any closer) and then bucked it up so I could move the burning pieces to a pile. Overall, I'd say I probably don't run a saw more than an hour a week. Can spend all day on a tree job and burn a quart or two of gas.

Cat 525 likes this.